Author Topic: Princeton Academic: We Should Become Vegans for the Sake of the Planet  (Read 565 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Princeton Academic: We Should Become Vegans for the Sake of the Planet
18 hours ago Eric Worrall 92 Comments
Essay by Eric Worrall

“… Those who claim to care about the wellbeing of human beings and the preservation of our climate and our environment should become vegans …”

‘We are gambling with the future of our planet for the sake of hamburgers’: Peter Singer on climate change

Published: June 15, 2023 6.11am AEST
Peter Singer
Professor of Bioethics in the Center for Human Values, Princeton University

I wasn’t aware of climate change until the 1980s — hardly anyone was — and even when we recognised the dire threat that burning fossil fuels posed, it took time for the role of animal production in warming the planet to be understood.

Today, though, the fact that eating plants will reduce your greenhouse gas emissions is one of the most important and influential reasons for cutting down on animal products and, for those willing to go all the way, becoming vegan.

A few years ago, eating locally — eating only food produced within a defined radius of your home — became the thing for environmentally conscious people to do, to such an extent that “locavore” became the Oxford English Dictionary’s “word of the year” for 2007.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/06/16/princeton-academic-we-should-become-vegans-for-the-sake-of-the-planet/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
 :pigs fly:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Is this the same Peter Singer who once argued that parents should be permitted to kill defective infants up to a certain age?
https://www.independentliving.org/docs5/singer.html#:~:text=Infanticide,killing%20them%20is%20intrinsically%20wrong.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
If they want to be vegans, go ahead. Leave me out of that.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

I ain't never met a vegan baling hay, or raking asphalt, or building houses... Not a one.  :pondering:

Online Smokin Joe

I ain't never met a vegan baling hay, or raking asphalt, or building houses... Not a one.  :pondering:
Nor working on an oil rig, nor doing heavy construction, not even operating heavy equipment...wonder why that is?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Nor working on an oil rig, nor doing heavy construction, not even operating heavy equipment...wonder why that is?

I dunno... That's a real stumper...

:laugh:

Online Smokin Joe

I dunno... That's a real stumper...

:laugh:
:shrug: :laugh:

C S Lewis