Author Topic: US Military Secures ‘Unimpeded Access’ To Major Pacific Base, Furthering Bid To Outmatch China  (Read 102 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US Military Secures ‘Unimpeded Access’ To Major Pacific Base, Furthering Bid To Outmatch China

MICAELA BURROW
INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER & PENTAGON CORRESPONDENT
June 15, 2023
9:58 AM ET
FONT SIZE:

The U.S. military would have “unimpeded access” to sites on Papua New Guinea for pre-positioning troops, according to a deal tabled in the Indo-Pacific island country’s parliament on Wednesday, AFP reported.

The Department of Defense inked a security agreement with Papua New Guinea in May promising upgraded defense cooperation as the U.S. and allies seek to create a hedge around Chinese military expansion in the region, according to a press release. Details of the agreement are now becoming clear; the U.S. would be able to use six key ports and airports on the island for basing troops and naval vessels, expanding the U.S. military’s strategic footprint, according to a draft of the deal Papua New Guinea’s legislature passed Wednesday that was obtained by the AFP.

The agreement offers the Pentagon “unimpeded access” to the six sites and also maintain “exclusive” control of some zones for development and “construction activities,” AFP reported, citing the deal. (RELATED: Chinese War Games Simulating Massive Losses For U.S. Aren’t Just Propaganda, Experts Say)

https://dailycaller.com/2023/06/15/us-china-base-pacific-papua-new-guinea/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson