Author Topic: MAKING THE U.S.-PHILIPPINE ALLIANCE COUNT  (Read 141 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
MAKING THE U.S.-PHILIPPINE ALLIANCE COUNT
« on: June 16, 2023, 01:12:48 pm »
MAKING THE U.S.-PHILIPPINE ALLIANCE COUNT
SUSANNAH PATTONJUNE 15, 2023

Over the past 18 months, the health of the U.S.-Philippine alliance has been restored. A patient on life support during the presidency of Rodrigo Duterte is now being readmitted into the ranks of America’s high-functioning Indo-Pacific allies.

Beginning with the reaffirmation of the visiting forces agreement by the Duterte administration in July 2021, the two sides have made steady progress toward establishing an operationally meaningful defense partnership. This includes expanding annual military exercises, designating four new sites for both parties to use under the Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement, and agreeing to new bilateral defense guidelines. The Philippines has said it will resume joint patrols with the United States in the South China Sea, and the two sides have flagged plans to improve military intelligence sharing. Finally, there is now a roadmap on military capability enhancement, which includes new transfers of defense equipment to the Philippines.

Though the United States does not say so officially, the reinvestment in its alliance with the Philippines is at least in part because of that country’s potential role in a conflict over Taiwan. The Philippines’ northernmost island is less than 100 miles from Taiwan, providing access points to preposition supplies and provide military support. Given a dearth of other regional options for forward-basing U.S. forces or equipment, U.S. policymakers would be eager to lock Manila into a favorable arrangement now.

https://warontherocks.com/2023/06/making-the-u-s-philippines-alliance-count/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: MAKING THE U.S.-PHILIPPINE ALLIANCE COUNT
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2023, 01:13:44 pm »
The Philippines will sell its soul to the highest bidder. :nono:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson