Author Topic: DeSantis faces few good options on Trump indictment  (Read 399 times)

Offline corbe

DeSantis faces few good options on Trump indictment
« on: June 15, 2023, 03:34:02 pm »
DeSantis faces few good options on Trump indictment

BY JULIA MANCHESTER AND CAROLINE VAKIL - 06/15/23 6:00 AM ET

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) finds himself in a difficult position as former President Trump dominates the news cycle in the wake of his indictment.

The Florida governor is walking a fine line between wanting to knock Trump from first place and not alienating Trump’s voters, who are firmly against the indictment.

DeSantis condemned the Justice Department’s actions after news of Trump’s indictment broke last week, but he has since kept a low profile.

However, many Republicans say that DeSantis needs to take the opportunity to argue that he is more electable than the former president.

“The indictment speaks for itself though. These are serious national security issues. Is some of this politically motivated? Sure,” said Dan Eberhart, a DeSantis donor.

“The bottom line is that this consumed the first Trump presidency. It made good policy harder to enact and sustain. And if Trump is the nominee again, it will consume another four years,” he said. “DeSantis needs to make the case to voters that we can have the good conservative policies, the strong economic recovery, without all the drama.”

Some Republicans have slowly started to change their tune on Trump’s latest indictment, with former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley saying Trump’s behavior was “incredibly reckless” if the indictment is true while also later suggesting she is “inclined in favor of a pardon” for Trump if she was president.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4050361-desantis-faces-few-good-options-on-trump-indictment/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Kamaji

Re: DeSantis faces few good options on Trump indictment
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 09:06:35 pm »
DeSantis should be arguing on the merits of the issues facing the country, and not putting too much time or effort into the Trump clown-world shit-show.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 09:48:50 pm »
DeSantis should be arguing on the merits of the issues facing the country ....

How does he do this without an agenda and proposed policies?  https://rondesantis.com/

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2023, 09:53:23 pm »
InteractivePolls
@IAPolls2022

NEW HAMPSHIRE 2024: Trump holds 32-point lead for Republican Nomination

Trump 44% (+5 from May)
DeSantis 12% (-6)
Christie 7% (+7)
Scott 7% (+6)
Haley 5% (+2)
Ramaswamy 3% (-3)
Pence 3% (+2)
Hutchinson 2% (+1)

National Res. | 06/12-14 | 500 LV
https://amgreatness.com/2023/06/15/pol

12:32 PM · Jun 15, 2023

« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 09:58:34 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2023, 09:58:15 pm »
InteractivePolls
@IAPolls2022

IOWA 2024: Trump's campaign is releasing a new internal poll by @jmclghln

Trump 51% (+1 from May)
DeSantis 19% (-6)
Scott 9% (+2)
Pence 6% (+1)
Haley 4% (=)
Ramaswamy 2% (=)
Hutchinson 1% (+1)
Christie 1% (+1)

June 10-12 | 500 LV | MoE ±4.4%

1:54 PM · Jun 15, 2023

Offline corbe

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2023, 10:16:56 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2023, 12:25:47 am »

That’s the Trump shit-show for ya. All shit all the time.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2023, 01:27:26 am »
Eh, I think the best thing to do in something like this is just to be responsible, and not try to pander to anyone. 

Perfectly fair -- and correct -- to point out that Trump has been unfairly targeted and persecuted by since the day he announced, and unethical and politically motivated prosecutors have been complicit.  And that this particular indictment looks to be more of the same.

However, I also think that withholding final judgment until after you see the actual evidence is the right course.  And though I think Trump should be pardoned regardless of who wins in 2024, I also believe it is wrong to commit publicly to that right now before we even know the details.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2023, 01:30:13 am »
Run to the end and give the GOP a choice. If they want the ever expanding clown show that Trump has become, that is their choice and the consequences that go with it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 01:38:41 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2023, 01:35:42 am »
Eh, I think the best thing to do in something like this is just to be responsible, and not try to pander to anyone. 

Perfectly fair -- and correct -- to point out that Trump has been unfairly targeted and persecuted by since the day he announced, and unethical and politically motivated prosecutors have been complicit.  And that this particular indictment looks to be more of the same.

However, I also think that withholding final judgment until after you see the actual evidence is the right course.  And though I think Trump should be pardoned regardless of who wins in 2024, I also believe it is wrong to commit publicly to that right now before we even know the details.

Agreed.