Author Topic: Paul Ryan Takes a Shot at Ron DeSantis in No-Lessons-Learned Commentary  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Kamaji

Paul Ryan Takes a Shot at Ron DeSantis in No-Lessons-Learned Commentary

By Bonchie
June 13, 2023

Paul Ryan appeared on CBS Mornings on Tuesday, and he took a veiled shot at Ron DeSantis while critiquing the current path of the Republican Party. As the last decade or so has evidenced, the former Speaker of the House isn’t a fan of fighting the culture wars, and he reiterated his opposition when pressed on the matter.

RYAN: Yeah, I’m not a culture war guy. I think it’s really polarizing. Look, on some of these issues I’ll side with the anit-woke crowd, but to me, I’m worried about a debt crisis, I’m worried about, you know, the future of our country and China. There are big policy problems that we need to tackle if we want to have a great 21st century for this country.

Ryan’s commentary is the perfect illustration of what the GOP once was, and what it can never become again. In the face of Nate Burleson citing transgender issues, the former Speaker of the House dismisses it and instead pivots to the debt crisis and China. And while those are both important issues that need to be tackled, the idea that they are more important than winning the culture is foolhardy.

Ask yourself, what good is money if children are being mutilated and “transitioned” in the name of a radical ideology? What good is confronting China if we allow ourselves to devolve into a third-world, dystopian hellhole back at home? Who cares about tax rates if we can’t even protect women?

Ryan goes on to call the culture wars “really polarizing,” but then fails to explain how that’s a bad thing. How does an issue being polarizing mark it as unworthy of pursuit? Some of the most polarizing issues in history have been some of the most important. Heck, I would hope that Republicans would be polarizing when it comes to opposing child abuse under the guise of transgender ideology.

It’s simple. Before venturing to solve a nation’s fiscal issues, you need to actually have a country worth living in. At the very least, you need to fight those battles concurrently. Dismissing one as polarizing is not only self-defeating, it’s morally wrong. That’s what people like Ryan simply won’t accept, and it’s frustrating to witness.

Source:  https://redstate.com/bonchie/2023/06/13/paul-ryan-takes-a-shot-at-ron-desantis-in-no-lessons-learned-commentary-n760469

Offline DefiantMassRINO

... says the man chosen to be Mitt Romney's #2 in 2012.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online DB

Ryan should be holding his head in shame and quietly walked away for how he led congress as speaker. He was a complete failure. The border was the number one issue that he did literally nothing to fix. The consequences of that have spread everywhere.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Ryan should be holding his head in shame and quietly walked away for how he led congress as speaker. He was a complete failure. The border was the number one issue that he did literally nothing to fix. The consequences of that have spread everywhere.

The House under Ryan passed the border bill Trump demanded.  It just couldn't get through the Senate.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-meeting-house-republicans-amid-border-wall-showdown/story?id=59930695

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Paul Ryan Takes a Shot at Ron DeSantis in No-Lessons-Learned Commentary

By Bonchie
June 13, 2023

Paul Ryan appeared on CBS Mornings on Tuesday, and he took a veiled shot at Ron DeSantis while critiquing the current path of the Republican Party. As the last decade or so has evidenced, the former Speaker of the House isn’t a fan of fighting the culture wars, and he reiterated his opposition when pressed on the matter.

Ryan’s commentary is the perfect illustration of what the GOP once was, and what it can never become again. In the face of Nate Burleson citing transgender issues, the former Speaker of the House dismisses it and instead pivots to the debt crisis and China. And while those are both important issues that need to be tackled, the idea that they are more important than winning the culture is foolhardy.

Ask yourself, what good is money if children are being mutilated and “transitioned” in the name of a radical ideology? What good is confronting China if we allow ourselves to devolve into a third-world, dystopian hellhole back at home? Who cares about tax rates if we can’t even protect women?

Ryan goes on to call the culture wars “really polarizing,” but then fails to explain how that’s a bad thing. How does an issue being polarizing mark it as unworthy of pursuit? Some of the most polarizing issues in history have been some of the most important. Heck, I would hope that Republicans would be polarizing when it comes to opposing child abuse under the guise of transgender ideology.

It’s simple. Before venturing to solve a nation’s fiscal issues, you need to actually have a country worth living in. At the very least, you need to fight those battles concurrently. Dismissing one as polarizing is not only self-defeating, it’s morally wrong. That’s what people like Ryan simply won’t accept, and it’s frustrating to witness.

Source:  https://redstate.com/bonchie/2023/06/13/paul-ryan-takes-a-shot-at-ron-desantis-in-no-lessons-learned-commentary-n760469

I admire Paul Ryan for being a legit budget hawk. But as you say, those cultural issues are the ones that impact the lives of ordinary people on a day-to-day basis. Saying that those are unimportant and that we should only focus on long-term fiscal issues reveals a fundamental misunderstanding of what people value.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 07:09:33 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Kamaji

I admire Paul Ryan for being legit budget talk. But as you say, those cultural issues are the ones that impact the lives of ordinary people on a day-to-day basis. Saying that those are unimportant and that we should only focus on long-term fiscal issues reveals a fundamental misunderstanding of what people value.

I always felt like he was a good wonk - a good numbers guy with command of policy issues in fiscal contexts - but not an overall leader.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
... says the man chosen to be Mitt Romney's #2 in 2012.
Hmmm, didn't he also lose debates to Captain Dementia?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Who cares what the worthless POS says or does?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online corbe

This will befuddle the Trumpers here for about 5 minutes.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I always felt like he was a good wonk - a good numbers guy with command of policy issues in fiscal contexts - but not an overall leader.

I always felt he took instruction from his K Street masters exceedingly well.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DB

The House under Ryan passed the border bill Trump demanded.  It just couldn't get through the Senate.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-meeting-house-republicans-amid-border-wall-showdown/story?id=59930695

From my view Ryan just went through the motions to curb illegal immigration without actually accomplishing anything - on purpose. The big business GOP swamp wants cheap labor and they don't care about the damage that it inflicts on everyone else.

Offline roamer_1

From my view Ryan just went through the motions to curb illegal immigration without actually accomplishing anything - on purpose. The big business GOP swamp wants cheap labor and they don't care about the damage that it inflicts on everyone else.

Sure. If the Senate ain't gonna play, or the president will sustain a veto, anything goes - providing a fig leaf toward 'trying hard'. It's when the rubber hits the road that matters.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Oh yes, yes yes yes yes, Ryan has 'concerns'. Very deep and serious concerns. Very very serious. And deep.

Concerns he did nothing about. Is he trying to blame someone else here for the thing he didn't do under his leadership?

Does he think he still has credibility? Seems he does.

The Republic is lost.

Offline LMAO

10 years ago, I would have agreed with Paul Ryan that Republicans shouldn’t get too involved in the culture wars

As a result, we are now sexualizing children and making it illegal for parents to stand in the way of their transitioning
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 01:23:05 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline roamer_1

10 years ago, I would have agreed with Paul Ryan that Republicans shouldn’t get too involved in the culture wars

As a result, we are now sexualizing children and making it illegal for parents to stand in the way of their transitioning

That is a remarkable admission.

I have always seen you as a Goldwater gunslinger... Strong toward libertarianism in Goldwater fashion (said with h/t and every respect)... But I think Reagan's biggest contribution was to open a front against the liberals in the culture wars and bringing the Judeo-Christians to the table. It was his bet in the Southern Strategy, and one I think he believed in.

It's always been a rub between Goldwater and Reagan... Dulled over the years perhaps, but still there, that ground gained in Reagan and rejected in Goldwater. As a Western man, I probably see it better than most - We tend to a libertarian independence pretty naturally out here - Different to the Bible Belt. And the Christians are so big that they can easily wag the dog, with little political aplomb. So that resentment has a basis.

So again, A remarkable admission. Thank you.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

:yowsa:  pointing-up

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
LMAO wrote:
"10 years ago, I would have agreed with Paul Ryan that Republicans shouldn’t get too involved in the culture wars
As a result, we are now sexualizing children and making it illegal for parents to stand in the way of their transitioning"

You won't like this, but attitudes like yours (ten years ago) were a MAJOR "part of the problem".

I was for "waging the culture wars full steam ahead" even before Patrick J. Buchanan was lambasted for his landmark speech before the 1992 Republican convention.

Pat was right back then.
We now see the results of "ignoring" the culture wars for decades and decades.
That was not the fault of "the left" -- it was the fault of Republicans (emphasis intentional).

The Party is nearing victory.
Might be too late... now.
Comrades... will you join me in a toast to the lost past...?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Hmmm, didn't he also lose debates to Captain Dementia?

@GtHawk

How would that even be possible?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online GtHawk

@GtHawk

Well Joe wasn't as far gone then, and remember Willard's son told reporters after the election that pops never really wanted to be president so maybe Ryan was just in it for show too, so that bathhouse Barry could get elected.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
@GtHawk

Ryan blasting DeSantis?

I knew you and Paul Ryan had a lot in common.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Ryan blasting DeSantis?

@catfish1957

????????
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online GtHawk

Ryan blasting DeSantis?

I think you erred on Pete's response to my comment about Ryan... Hmmm, didn't he also lose debates to Captain Dementia?