Author Topic: The United States blocks the sale of arms to Hungary  (Read 671 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
The United States blocks the sale of arms to Hungary
« on: June 14, 2023, 08:00:01 pm »
The sourcedoesn't want anyone to copy their articles so I'll just put the link.

https://dailynewshungary.com/the-united-states-blocks-the-sale-of-arms-to-hungary/

Anyway, good for us.  There is no NATO-based justification for Hungary to oppose Sweden joining the Alliance.  It's clearly a big plus with no real downside for NATO as NATO.  Hungary is essentially sabotaging the alliance for its own national interest in kowtowing to Russia, and that's a perfectly appropriate justification for us to respond by refusing to sell them advanced weaponry.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: The United States blocks the sale of arms to Hungary
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2023, 08:03:18 pm »
And here I thought it was maybe because the Hungarians put up a fence and didn't allow themselves to be overrun by "refugees"...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2023, 08:16:19 pm »
And here I thought it was maybe because the Hungarians put up a fence and didn't allow themselves to be overrun by "refugees"...

Nope.  All about Hungary and Turkey being the only two NATO members out of 31 opposing Sweden.  Both of whom are doing so to curry favor with Russia (or to weaken the U.S.), either of which is despicable coming from a NATO member.

Sweden is a no-brainer, home-run member for NATO.  They punch way above their weight militarily, and together with Norway and Finland, provide a much stronger frontline defense for NATO's northern flank, which takes a lot of pressure off the rest of NATO.  One of Russia's main strategic goals over the last 7 decades has been to keep Sweden (which does not share a border with Russia) out of NATO because it would make it much harder to bully Norway and especially Finland.  It also would make it much harder for Russia to try to get clever in the Baltic Sea.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 08:20:17 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2023, 08:18:40 pm »
I read something about this in a separate article. Hungary is whining about Sweden saying mean  things about them.

WHY HAS HUNGARY NOT RATIFIED MEMBERSHIP?

Hungary says Sweden has had a hostile attitude to Budapest for years. It is angry about Swedish criticism of Prime Minister Viktor Orban over the perceived erosion of rule of law. Orban denies such erosion. Unlike Turkey, Hungary does not have a list of demands, but says grievances need to be addressed before it can ratify Sweden's accession to NATO.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/after-finland-joins-nato-why-is-turkey-making-sweden-wait-2023-04-04/
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 09:22:52 pm »
I believe you, Smokin' Joe.

That "Major" guy is blowin' smoke up our a$$.

I'd rather see not a single cent more given to the Ukraine, and considerable support to the Hungarians.

Which is what we WILL see when Mr. Trump gets re-elected.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2023, 11:51:38 pm »
I believe you, Smokin' Joe.

That "Major" guy is blowin' smoke up our a$$.

I'd rather see not a single cent more given to the Ukraine, and considerable support to the Hungarians.

Which is what we WILL see when Mr. Trump gets re-elected.

Let's say Sweden is saying mean things about Hungary.

What does that have to do with whether or not Sweden would be a positive addition to a military self-defense alliance?  If Hungary is going to ignore what is good militarily for the alliance, then not providing advanced weaponry arms sales to a member that is not interested in the strength of the alliance is a smart move.

Honestly, I wouldn't trust the Hungarians not to transfer information about that technology to the Russians, with whom they seem more aligned politically than the members of NATO anyway.

And obviously, if Hungary doesn't like the fact that the US won't sell them more advanced weapons, they always have the option of leaving NATO.

I don't think they'd be missed.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 11:53:14 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2023, 01:31:36 am »
Nope.  All about Hungary and Turkey being the only two NATO members out of 31 opposing Sweden.  Both of whom are doing so to curry favor with Russia (or to weaken the U.S.), either of which is despicable coming from a NATO member.

Sweden is a no-brainer, home-run member for NATO.  They punch way above their weight militarily, and together with Norway and Finland, provide a much stronger frontline defense for NATO's northern flank, which takes a lot of pressure off the rest of NATO.  One of Russia's main strategic goals over the last 7 decades has been to keep Sweden (which does not share a border with Russia) out of NATO because it would make it much harder to bully Norway and especially Finland.  It also would make it much harder for Russia to try to get clever in the Baltic Sea.
Yeah, whatever the reason I have trouble with Hungary's desire to curry favor with a former occupier being one of them. Interesting though that a majority of the population of Sweden had no use for NATO until some event occurring in 2022.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2023, 04:38:45 am »
Yeah, whatever the reason I have trouble with Hungary's desire to curry favor with a former occupier being one of them. Interesting though that a majority of the population of Sweden had no use for NATO until some event occurring in 2022.

Swedes had a pretty significant military of their own through the Cold War.  Made most of their own stuff, and it was really good.  At its peak. they had over 3000 combat aircraft (4th largest air force in the world) and nearly 2500 tanks.  The number of active duty troops wasn't huge, but they had massive reserves.  They massively downsized after the Cold war, but have been rebuilding since the Russian invasion of Ukraine -- they still have lots of well-maintained equipment in reserve to flesh out new units.