Author Topic: Revolutionizing laser technology: U.S. Air Force’s HARDROC achieves success  (Read 122 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Revolutionizing laser technology: U.S. Air Force’s HARDROC achieves success
Posted on June 11, 2023 by alert5

The Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) has achieved a major breakthrough in laser technology for aircraft with its recent successful flight-test campaign. The project, known as HARDROC (Hybrid Aero-Effect Reducing Design with Realistic Optical Components), brings us closer to the future of directed energy laser systems integrated onto aircraft.

Photo from AFRL

The HARDROC program, a joint effort between AFRL’s Aerospace Systems Directorate and the Directed Energy Directorate at Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico, along with MZA Associates, a leading contractor, focused on testing a new beam director concept. Their goal was to assess the effectiveness of different aerodynamic flow control techniques in reducing distortions that occur when a laser beam is emitted from a fast-moving aircraft.

Rudy Johnson, the HARDROC program manager, expressed his excitement, stating, “The HARDROC beam director is a game-changer in minimizing aerodynamic issues. Through a series of flight tests, we successfully demonstrated how flow control techniques can significantly reduce the impact of aerodynamics on the beam director.”

https://alert5.com/2023/06/11/revolutionizing-laser-technology-u-s-air-forces-hardroc-achieves-success/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I wonder what Gen. Brown can do to screw it up before he's kicked upstairs? :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson