Author Topic: McConnell, GOP allies steer clear of defending Trump on indictment  (Read 230 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 McConnell, GOP allies steer clear of defending Trump on indictment
by Alexander Bolton - 06/13/23 6:00 AM ET

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) and his deputies are steering clear of defending former President Trump from felony charges brought by the Justice Department, signaling a deep split within the GOP over how to handle the former president’s legal problems.

While House Republican leaders and the leading Republican candidates for president have rallied behind Trump and attacked the Justice Department for targeting him unfairly, key Republican senators are reluctant to shield the former president from charges that he willfully mishandled top-secret documents and risked national security.

GOP senators say the 37-count indictment brought against Trump by special counsel Jack Smith is more serious and more credible than the 34 felony charges Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg (D) brought against Trump in March. 

“There are very serious allegations in the indictment, and I think the Justice Department — as they attempt to prove their case — they’ve got a high burden of proof to convince people that they’re handling this fairly and as they would for any other elected official,” Senate Republican Whip John Thune (S.D.) said.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4046420-mcconnell-gop-allies-trump-indictment/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Maybe Mr. Trump should have put a bit more thought, and effort, into building bridges and coalitions with GOP senators, rather than engaging in divisive name-calling?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Maybe Mr. Trump should have put a bit more thought, and effort, into building bridges and coalitions with GOP senators, rather than engaging in divisive name-calling?

Maybe we need to elect some GOP senators who have a
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

Maybe we need to elect some GOP senators who have a

Maybe so, but I rather doubt that even those with a spine would put too much effort into standing up for Trump, given the bridges Trump burned.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Trump's Senate candidates cost the Swamp Turtle a GOP majority Senate.  McConnell is not going to waste political capital on Trump unless there is something in it for the Swamp Turtle.

McConnell tolerated Trump to get the judges he wanted.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright