Author Topic: NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell suddenly resigns, blindsiding City Hall: sources  (Read 257 times)

Offline mountaineer

NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell suddenly resigns, blindsiding City Hall: sources
 By Craig McCarthy, Larry Celona, Tina Moore and Jorge Fitz-Gibbon   
 June 12, 2023 4:41pm
Police Commissioner Keechant Sewell abruptly announced Monday that she was stepping down after nearly a year and a half as the first woman at the helm of the NYPD — with sources saying her sudden departure caught City Hall off guard.

“I have made the decision to step down from my position,” Sewell wrote in an email to the department Monday afternoon. “While my time here will come to a close, I will never step away from my advocacy and support for the NYPD, and I will always be a champion for the people of New York City.”

Sewell, 51, was sworn in on Jan. 1, 2022 after being appointed by Mayor Eric Adams. She did not provide a reason for her departure, and it was not immediately clear who would be taking over to lead the largest police force in the country. ...

Sewell’s relationship with City Hall had seemed to sour in recent months, with the commissioner finding herself increasingly handcuffed when trying to make key department decisions, The Post reported Sunday.

“She was fed up,” a NYPD source said Monday. “She was tired of being their puppet.”

NYPD commissioners have historically held the authority to promote rank and file cops to detective, and detectives to higher ranks — but Sewell had to run the moves past City Hall, law enforcement sources said. ...

Said another source, “She was great, someone who genuinely cared about cops, the public and the rule of law. If she was given more authority she would have done great things for this job.” ...
New York Post
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

Probably another diversity hire out of her depth.

Offline mountaineer

Probably another diversity hire out of her depth.
Sounds like the mayor is more out of his depth than she.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

Sounds like the mayor is more out of his depth than she.

Wouldn’t be the first time.