Author Topic: Progressive Texas judge suggests illegal immigrants could receive universal basic income  (Read 130 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
MEDIA Published June 7, 2023 6:18am EDT
Progressive Texas judge suggests illegal immigrants could receive universal basic income
Democrats have proposed universal basic income in various states to combat poverty
By Lindsay Kornick | Fox News

Harris County judge suggests illegal immigrants could receive universal basic income
Progressive Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo claimed during a hearing that the universal basic income program she supports could apply to illegal immigrants.

Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo claimed that illegal immigrants could receive a universal basic income based on recent proposal.

The Uplift Harris pilot program set by Harris County Democrats would allocate $20.5 million of American Rescue Plan Act funds to pay out $500 monthly to approximately 1,500 families for eighteen months. The program officially came up for a vote on Tuesday where Hidalgo, an advocate for the proposal, defended paying poor citizens as well as "the undocumented community."

"And so what we do is we pick the ten poorest neighborhoods. Can the undocumented community apply? If the county attorney says they can, they will. If the county attorney says they can’t, they won’t. What I was told is they can," Hidalgo said.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/progressive-texas-judge-suggests-illegal-immigrants-receive-universal-basic-income
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson