Author Topic: The Silence of Leading Senate Republicans on Trump Indictment Is Deafening  (Read 157 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Silence of Leading Senate Republicans on Trump Indictment Is Deafening
BY RICK MORAN 10:33 AM ON JUNE 11, 2023

The House Republican leadership has given a full-throated defense of Donald Trump following his 37-count indictment for violations of the Espionage Act, Speaker of the House Rep. Kevin McCarthy said.

“Today is indeed a dark day for the United States of America,” House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) tweeted. “It is unconscionable for a President to indict the leading candidate opposing him. Joe Biden kept classified documents for decades. I, and every American who believes in the rule of law, stand with President Trump.”

The number two Republican, House Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.), also gave a strong defense of Trump. “Let’s be clear about what’s happening: Joe Biden is weaponizing his Department of Justice against his own political rival. This sham indictment is the continuation of the endless political persecution of Donald Trump.”

While the GOP House rushed to Trump’s side to defend him, there was only a deafening silence from the Senate Republican leadership.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) won’t even use Trump’s name in refusing to comment on the indictment.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/rick-moran/2023/06/11/the-silence-of-leading-senate-republicans-on-trump-indictment-is-deafening-n1702288
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
McConnell is hopeful that Trump will just ago away -- Trump had him somewhat in line while he was President.  McConnell would rather be part of the good ole corrupt DC country club.

Most of Congress has been silent on this indictment.  Then again, most of Congress is corrupt.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
McConnell is hopeful that Trump will just ago away -- Trump had him somewhat in line while he was President.  McConnell would rather be part of the good ole corrupt DC country club.

Most of Congress has been silent on this indictment.  Then again, most of Congress is corrupt.

:yowsa: You can say that again!  No telling how many payrolls those jerks are on!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien