Author Topic: Broome County Executive responds to New York City lawsuit  (Read 125 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Broome County Executive responds to New York City lawsuit
« on: June 10, 2023, 04:13:25 pm »
Broome County Executive responds to New York City lawsuit

By Emmanuella Justine Pierre
Published: Jun. 8, 2023 at 11:08 PM EDT
BINGHAMTON (WBNG) -- Broome County, along with more than 30 New York counties are being sued by New York City for closing their borders to asylum seekers.

The suit issued by New York City judge, Sylvia Hinds-Radix includes Chemung, Cortland, Delaware and Tioga. It claims the counties have blocked the city from allowing a small number of asylum seekers to stay in private hotels within their jurisdictions.

Broome County Executive Jason Garnar said due to the current housing crisis in the county and there is not enough space to house migrants.

“Covid really increased our housing issues and made it so much worse” said Garnar “For New York City, without coordination, without any information, without talking to us to just place hundreds of people in our community it would absolutely break our system.”

https://www.wbng.com/2023/06/09/broome-county-executive-responds-new-york-city-lawsuit/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson