Poll

Do you use Close Captioning when you watch TV?

Only on Foreign Films
3 (13%)
I don't have a soundbar, so sometimes
3 (13%)
Always, the noise distracts me
9 (39.1%)
Just Commercials (stoner option)
1 (4.3%)
Another BS poll from corbe
3 (13%)
Never
4 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: July 24, 2023, 11:30:24 pm

Author Topic: Do you use Close Captioning when you watch TV?  (Read 3129 times)

Offline corbe

Do you use Close Captioning when you watch TV?
« on: June 09, 2023, 11:30:24 pm »
   The sound on some of the Old Movies I watch is just horrible (midrange push through) so I find myself using CC more often. 
   @Texas Robin loves it, she can multitask better than me.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Lando Lincoln

Re: Do you use Close Captioning when you watch TV?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 11:34:16 pm »
   The sound on some of the Old Movies I watch is just horrible (midrange push through) so I find myself using CC more often. 
   @Texas Robin loves it, she can multitask better than me.

The answer from here is, yes.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 11:49:40 pm »
Why Is Everyone Watching TV With the Subtitles On?
It’s not just you.

By Devin Gordon

JUNE 6, 2023

The first time it happened, I assumed it was a Millennial thing. Our younger neighbors had come over with their kids and a projector for backyard movie night—Clueless, I think, or maybe The Goonies.

“Oh,” I said as the opening scene began, “you left the subtitles on.”

“Oh,” the husband said, “we always leave the subtitles on.”

Now, I don’t like to think of myself as a snob—snobs never do—but in that moment, I felt something gurgling up my windpipe that can only be described as snobbery, a need to express my aesthetic horror at the needless gashing of all those scenes. All that came out, though, was: Why? They don’t like missing any of the dialogue, he said, and sometimes it’s hard to hear, or someone is trying to sleep, or they’re only half paying attention, and the subtitles are right there waiting to be flipped on, so … why not?

Because now I’m reading TV, not watching it. Because now, instead of focusing my attention on the performances, the costumes, the cinematography, the painstakingly mixed sound, and how it all works together to tell a story and transport me into an alternate world, my eyes keep getting yanked downward to read words I can already hear. My soul can’t bear the notion of someone watching The Sopranos for the first time and, as Tony wades into the pool, looking down to the bottom of the screen to read [ducks quack]. Subtitles serve an important purpose for people with hearing or cognitive impairments, or for translation from a foreign language. They’re not for fluent English speakers watching something in fluent English.

<..snip..>

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theatlantic.com%2Fideas%2Farchive%2F2023%2F06%2Fwatching-movies-tv-with-subtitles%2F674301%2F

*paywall removed*
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2023, 12:04:48 am »
Yes.  Period.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2023, 07:47:13 am »
Yep. If I don't, at some key point in the dialogue, some crap will happen and I won't be able to hear it. That, and there were some movies which went from a thin mumble to screaming, and I could damp the screaming to a reasonable level and read the rest.

Older soundtrack English accents can't seem to get through my selective hearing loss and have a kazoo like quality I can't decipher, too. (Not talking about Mr. Bean).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2023, 11:55:10 am »
ALWAYS. Without it,all I can do is guess about what is going on.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2023, 12:08:52 pm »
 :yowsa:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2023, 12:16:58 pm »
I've been watching Turkish TV series on my computer since 2015.  For that I use closed captioning. I don't use it for regular TV.  My daughter-in-law uses it all the time.  CC drives me crazy when the show is in English.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2023, 03:09:16 pm »
I use CC when there is a lot of background noise(loud music) and can't make out the dialogue. Losing your hearing sucks! remember when you would occasionally have your brain go all mondegreen when you listened to a song? Well with profound hearing loss your brain substitutes words more like 50-60%...or more **nononono*

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2023, 03:17:12 pm »
Nope. Hate em. What I hate worse is swipe-left with the mouse automatically turning them on. I bet I have to shut them back off 10 times a day.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2023, 03:23:33 pm »
Well with profound hearing loss your brain substitutes words more like 50-60%...or more **nononono*

I find that to be excellent entertainment.

You wouldn't believe the things that have come out of my dear mother's mouth... Of course, she didn't actually SAY those things, and I know that - But the babelfish in my head thinks she did.

Same thing happens with reading. Anymore, when I speed read, which is nearly all the time, I will hit a full stop because it could not have said what I read... Slower re-reading confirms the fact.

Thankfully for me, it's always hilarious.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2023, 03:27:10 pm »
I find that to be excellent entertainment.

You wouldn't believe the things that have come out of my dear mother's mouth... Of course, she didn't actually SAY those things, and I know that - But the babelfish in my head thinks she did.

Same thing happens with reading. Anymore, when I speed read, which is nearly all the time, I will hit a full stop because it could not have said what I read... Slower re-reading confirms the fact.

Thankfully for me, it's always hilarious.

@roamer_1

Well,sometime the ONLY real choices you have in life end up being either amused or pissed off. Amused seems to be the only rational option.

Don't ask me how I know this.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2023, 03:31:05 pm »
Don't ask me how I know this.

@sneakypete

LOL! I don't have to.  :laugh:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2023, 03:56:23 pm »
My hearing is awful, so yes. I qualify for cochlear impants according to my audiologist. I'm 47.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2023, 04:31:52 pm »
Diagnosed with tinnitus and hearing loss resulting from time in service. So yes.
Also, with Science fiction in particular, they tend to whisper dialogue to portray seriousness/intimacy. I cannot hear it.
Then in the next minute they are blowing up a planet and shaking my walls. Many shows/movies have no leveling.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2023, 04:37:18 pm »
About half the time, and I do watch a lot of foreign films to boot. I just enjoy being able to tell what some hushier sections are saying, also sometimes little clues are given in the details that help the film make more sense.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2023, 04:42:54 pm »
My hearing is awful, so yes. I qualify for cochlear impants according to my audiologist. I'm 47.

ALL the time! My hearing is terrible. I have only one ear that works at all and that one with the hearing aid turned up to the max.

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2023, 05:04:07 pm »
Diagnosed with tinnitus and hearing loss resulting from time in service. So yes.
Also, with Science fiction in particular, they tend to whisper dialogue to portray seriousness/intimacy. I cannot hear it.
Then in the next minute they are blowing up a planet and shaking my walls. Many shows/movies have no leveling.

I have issues with tinnitus too.  I wish Rumble and Twitter have CC.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2023, 05:41:31 pm »

I picked up a very serious pair of cordless headphones. Plugged em into my main TV, which operates as a media center, so my music library is on that box too... That was the purpose... For listening to music in my easy chair. BUT I have found it to also be a perfect remedy for what you describe. I seldom listen to movies anymore via ambient sound. If it is a movie, I am probably under those headphones.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2023, 05:57:40 pm »
I wanted to vote, but there wasn't an "as needed" selection, so I voted stoner.

I rarely watch TV and I am hard of hearing, so when I do watch a program CC is helpful.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2023, 07:19:07 pm »
I never think about using it at home, but whenever we're at a restaurant that has a bunch of TVs with sporting events on, I wish they'd turn on the CC.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2023, 07:56:10 pm »
Usually I do.

It allows me to listen at lower volumes and allows me to process things on multiple levels (retaining more of what I watched). It's an autism-spectrum thing.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2023, 08:48:26 pm »
Usually I do.

It allows me to listen at lower volumes and allows me to process things on multiple levels (retaining more of what I watched). It's an autism-spectrum thing.

See, for me it's the sound... Especially when I am concentrating.
I can't write a lick of code (as an instance) without some sort of white noise in the background.
So I nearly always have something playing. Sometimes music, sometimes vids... mostly HANK FM or Youtube...

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2023, 05:34:17 am »
Not the service, but the oil patch...same problem. Same gripe about audio levels, so yes, the captions are on to keep the windows from rattling in the loud parts.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2023, 05:36:05 am »
ALL the time! My hearing is terrible. I have only one ear that works at all and that one with the hearing aid turned up to the max.
Don'tcha just love how people always seem to stand on the wrong side when they want to talk to you?

C S Lewis