Author Topic: Texas to Deploy Marine Barrier in the Rio Grande to Block New Surge of Immigrants  (Read 129 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Texas to Deploy Marine Barrier in the Rio Grande to Block New Surge of Immigrants

By Todd Bensman on June 8, 2023

AUSTIN, Texas – In the latest in his series of state-level immigration-control initiatives, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has okayed an unusual new tool: a floating marine barrier to be deployed in the Rio Grande, three sources with direct knowledge confirmed to the Center for Immigration Studies.

marine barriers

The first 1,000 feet of floating barrier, consisting of large rotating buoys strung tightly together on thick steel cable, will be rolled out on a highly trafficked stretch of the Rio Grande between Piedras Negras, Mexico, and Eagle Pass, Texas, where a rising torrent of immigrant family groups have been crossing to turn themselves in since the end of Title 42 pandemic instant expulsions May 12, the sources said. Immigrants would have difficulty crossing over the buoys because they would rotate backward toward immigrants attempting to climb over them.

Texas has already purchased lengths of barrier from Cochrane, a corporation that specializes in marine barriers most often for navies. Texas will deploy its first thousand feet in June or early July, two sources said.

If it proves effective, Texas will roll out more in immigration hot spots on the Rio Grande.

https://cis.org/Bensman/Texas-Deploy-Marine-Barrier-Rio-Grande-Block-New-Surge-Immigrants
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson