Author Topic: Last-minute ‘hope’ for bill restoring Tappan Zee name to Cuomo Bridge  (Read 184 times)

Offline Kamaji

Last-minute ‘hope’ for bill restoring Tappan Zee name to Cuomo Bridge

By Zach Williams
June 7, 2023

ALBANY – It’s not a bridge too far quite yet!

Albany Democrats could still greenlight legislation to add the “Tappan Zee” moniker to the Mario M. Cuomo Bridge, a compromise proposal after previous efforts to entirely nix the late governor’s name failed.

The proposal passed the state Senate on Wednesday and its Assembly sponsor is bullish about his chamber approving the idea before state lawmakers leave Albany for the year on Friday.

“This is the closest that efforts to get the rightful name ‘Tappan Zee’ back on the bridge have come to accomplishing this goal,” Assemblyman John McGowan (R-Pearl River) said Wednesday.

“As long as we are in the chamber, I will have hope.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/07/tappan-zee-name-could-still-get-added-to-mario-cuomo-bridge/

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The Cuomo Bridge is not worthy of the name "Tappan Zee".

Last Fall, my wife and I drove down to DC from Boston.  Our planned route was to take us over the Tappan Zee Bridge.  Once we got to I-684 from I-84 we kept a look out for signs to the Tappan Zee. 

Instead there nothing but signs for the Cuomo Bridge with no mention of the Tappan Zee.  When we finally reached the Cuomo Bridge, it was an ugly monstrosity to behold.

The old Tappan Zee was a minimalist, spartan, industrial post-War bridge, but it provided great views of the Tappan Zee.  The Cuomo Bridge was attempting to outshine the Tappan Zee itself, and it failed.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

The Cuomo Bridge is not worthy of the name "Tappan Zee".

Last Fall, my wife and I drove down to DC from Boston.  Our planned route was to take us over the Tappan Zee Bridge.  Once we got to I-684 from I-84 we kept a look out for signs to the Tappan Zee. 

Instead there nothing but signs for the Cuomo Bridge with no mention of the Tappan Zee.  When we finally reached the Cuomo Bridge, it was an ugly monstrosity to behold.

The old Tappan Zee was a minimalist, spartan, industrial post-War bridge, but it provided great views of the Tappan Zee.  The Cuomo Bridge was attempting to outshine the Tappan Zee itself, and it failed.

Agreed, generally.