Author Topic: House cancels votes for rest of week amid floor ‘chaos’  (Read 318 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 House cancels votes for rest of week amid floor ‘chaos’
by Emily Brooks and Mychael Schnell - 06/07/23 6:48 PM ET

House leaders canceled planned votes for the rest of the week amid a revolt by conservative members that brought any votes on the House floor to a halt.

“What we’re gonna do is we’re gonna come back on Monday, work through it and be back working for the American public,” Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) told reporters Wednesday evening.

He said his goal is “to try to work this out by the end of the night.”

A group of 11 conservatives sunk a procedural rule vote Tuesday in a stunning rebuke to GOP leadership, fueled by anger over the debt limit bill negotiated by McCarthy and President Biden, who signed it into law over the weekend.

Leaders were forced to keep the House in recess for the bulk of Wednesday before canceling votes. Members had been scheduled to hold last House votes for the week Thursday no later than 3 p.m.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4039569-house-cancels-votes-for-rest-of-week-amid-floor-chaos/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: House cancels votes for rest of week amid floor ‘chaos’
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 01:32:48 pm »
House votes themselves out of their job.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 02:04:20 pm »
The congress doing nothing is generally better news than the congress doing something.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 03:15:54 pm »
McCarthy needs to start exercising some "Control" ...

"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 05:30:57 pm »
House votes themselves out of their job.

Pretty much.  Voters likely would have forgotten about the chaos surrounding the election of the Speaker in January.  But if six months later, there's another blowup and the GOP can't even hold votes because it is too fractured, the Dems are going to play up that disfunction to the hilt in the 2024 Congressional races.  "How can you expect a GOP Congress to run the country when they can't even run their own party?"

Ugh.  This will cost us among independents.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2023, 05:32:06 pm »
McCarthy needs to start exercising some "Control" ...

He can't.  He has an overwhelming majority of support within the GOP in the House, but the margin is so thin that a handful of hardliners ca bring the whole thing to a halt.  And there's really nothing he can do to punish them.