Author Topic: NYC driver Mahbub Ali was drinking all day, had BAC twice legal limit in fatal crash: prosecutors  (Read 123 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
NYC driver Mahbub Ali was drinking all day, had BAC twice legal limit in fatal crash: prosecutors
By Kyle Schnitzer
June 6, 2023 4:12pm  Updated

The driver accused of killing a 23-year-old pedestrian and mowing down four other people in a wild Manhattan crash admitted he was drinking all day before getting behind the wheel — with a blood alcohol level nearly twice the legal limit, prosecutors alleged Tuesday.

Mahbub Ali, 26, was ordered held on $300,000 bail by a Manhattan judge at his arraignment Tuesday, despite prosecutors requesting he be remanded for the deadly Sunday night driving rampage in Gramercy Park.

Ali, of Queens, allegedly admitted to law enforcement that he began drinking at brunch around noon Sunday — and kept boozing throughout the day before getting into his gray 2021 Hyundai Sonata, Assistant District Attorney Taylor Mauer said in court.

He was speeding up Third Avenue when he jumped a curb and barreled onto the sidewalk at East 21st Street, striking several pedestrians and leaving them tossed down the block, Mauer said.

The 23-year-old victim was crossing Third Avenue in the crosswalk when Ali rammed into him — throwing him into the air, authorities said.

https://nypost.com/2023/06/06/nyc-driver-mahbub-ali-was-drinking-all-day-had-bac-twice-legal-limit-in-fatal-crash-prosecutors/
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 10:48:18 am by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson