Author Topic: HOW NOT TO FIGHT CRIME  (Read 187 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
HOW NOT TO FIGHT CRIME
« on: June 07, 2023, 03:32:18 pm »
HOW NOT TO FIGHT CRIME
 Daniel Greenfield  June 05, 2023
“I will not stand by and let criminals undermine our economy and the livelihood of New Yorkers. We are going to act,” New York City Mayor Eric Adams vowed.

After announcing a 44% increase in retail theft in one year, Adams promised a bold new effort called “Second Chance” and “Re-Engaging Store Theft Offenders and Retail Establishments (RESTORE)” that will allow shoplifters “to avoid prosecution or incarceration by meaningfully engaging with services to help address underlying factors that lead to shoplifting.”

What “underlying factors” led gangs to steal hundreds of thousands worth of jewels or handbags, pack them up and walk away, or roll a trash can full of them down the street?

The root cause of the crime wave is a lack of consequences.

“Last year alone, 327 repeat offenders were responsible for 30 percent of the more than 22,000 retail thefts across our city.,” Adams noted.

http://www.danielgreenfield.org/2023/06/how-not-to-fight-crime.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: HOW NOT TO FIGHT CRIME
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 03:45:33 pm »
When communities move away from the Broken Window Theory of Policing, criminals get emboldened, and as many criminals do, they escalate behavior with each subsequent criminal act.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 05:57:47 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 09:48:27 pm »
When communities move away from the Broken Window Theory of Policing, criminals get emboldened, and as many criminals do, they escalate behavior with each subsequent criminal act.
Exactly. That's the style of policing with a proven record of success.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 10:06:44 pm »

Yup.  And New York seems hell-bent on continually proving that point.