General Category > Weather

New York City’s air pollution among the world’s worst as Canada wildfire smoke shrouds Northeast

<< < (2/7) > >>

jmyrlefuller:

--- Quote from: roamer_1 on June 06, 2023, 11:23:12 pm ---Welcome to my world... When the fires are raging out here, I won't be able to see the mountain right behind my house for a month or more... So thick you can feel it on your teeth.

Your government at its best.

--- End quote ---
It's not a contest, for crying out loud.

jmyrlefuller:
We're dealing with some of this in my neck of the woods as well.

On top of two weeks without any rain (though the cool weather has kept the water table from plummeting, so we're OK for now, though the grass is in full late-August mode). Basically the whole area smells like barbecue, which isn't horrible. We had some of the smoke from the western Canada wildfires in late May, but those were much higher in the atmosphere and didn't smell of anything. This was all low-level smoke.

To bring the weather side into this discussion, what's going on is that a low-pressure system is parked right to the southeast of these wildfires, and all that smoke is getting sucked into that circulation, which pours down over the eastern United States.

Idiot:

--- Quote from: jmyrlefuller on June 07, 2023, 01:50:16 am ---We're dealing with some of this in my neck of the woods as well.

On top of two weeks without any rain (though the cool weather has kept the water table from plummeting, so we're OK for now, though the grass is in full late-August mode). Basically the whole area smells like barbecue, which isn't horrible. We had some of the smoke from the western Canada wildfires in late May, but those were much higher in the atmosphere and didn't smell of anything. This was all low-level smoke.

To bring the weather side into this discussion, what's going on is that a low-pressure system is parked right to the southeast of these wildfires, and all that smoke is getting sucked into that circulation, which pours down over the eastern United States.

--- End quote ---
When in doubt fire up the BBQ grill and enjoy!

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: roamer_1 on June 06, 2023, 11:23:12 pm ---Welcome to my world... When the fires are raging out here, I won't be able to see the mountain right behind my house for a month or more... So thick you can feel it on your teeth.

Your government at its best.

--- End quote ---
Yep. Red sun at noon, less than 1/4 mile visibility (according to the weather service), when normally here you can see for 10+. Palpable taste of smoke in the air, serious woodsmoke smell in everything.

Kamaji:

--- Quote from: Smokin Joe on June 07, 2023, 02:03:19 pm ---Yep. Red sun at noon, less than 1/4 mile visibility (according to the weather service), when normally here you can see for 10+. Palpable taste of smoke in the air, serious woodsmoke smell in everything.

--- End quote ---

It's nothing like that in NYC.  Like with so many other things, IMHO, NY is simply overreacting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version