Author Topic: New York City’s air pollution among the world’s worst as Canada wildfire smoke shrouds Northeast  (Read 2185 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I hadn't read much about the wildfires in Canada. I thought they were "way out west", or something like that.

Then... yesterday I walked out of the house in the afternoon (western CT), and thought there must be a big fire in town -- the air was getting cloudy with smoke. Almost getting "thick".

When I took my afternoon walk, sight lines that would have otherwise been clear were surprisingly obscured.

I realized that it was just too much smoke for any one fire, so I came in and did some quick searching on the net -- and found out the fires were up in Quebec.

There's something telling about this. This is the time of year when summer begins to replace spring, when the air turns from "mild" to "warmer" (if not "hot"). But it's remained relatively cool here -- the heat was on again last night, and I don't set the thermostat high (68).

We've had a few "warm spells" (usually 3 days long) in which the temps got up into the 80s. But other than that... not yet.

It seems as though the jetstream is "flowing lower" now, and we're getting more "air from the north". That doesn't mean the summer heat won't come. But it seems to be coming in "later" these last several years.

Hence the lower temperatures.
The smoke blowing in along with the northern winds is proof of that.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Fishrrman One of the things about fires--the fuel determines the aroma...

Leaves and wood smells different from a house fire or a car fire because the things getting burned up contribute different smells to the smoke.

It is not unusual for us to be able to smell the burning wood and leaves in the smoke when it blows in from Western Canada or the US at a low level, even though the closest forest is hundreds of miles away from NW North Dakota (We have "National Grasslands" here.)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

Y'all huff and you puff and...

Wait, wait, wait... On Three...

Is that 'One, Two, BLOW' or 'One Two THREE, BLOW'??  :shrug: :laugh:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Wait, wait, wait... On Three...

Is that 'One, Two, BLOW' or 'One Two THREE, BLOW'??  :shrug: :laugh:

No matter: I can see the headline...

New York City Bl....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

No matter: I can see the headline...

New York City Bl....

:silly:

Online mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Green penis environmental pricks starting fires so they can gripe about it. Just wow
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....