General Category > Weather

New York City’s air pollution among the world’s worst as Canada wildfire smoke shrouds Northeast

<< < (3/7) > >>

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: jmyrlefuller on June 07, 2023, 01:46:08 am --- It's not a contest, for crying out loud.

--- End quote ---
The simple implication is that seriously shitty forest management practices, and an end by governmental entities to a tremendous amount of logging in the northwest leaves fuel loads that materially contribute to the severity and duration of the wildfires in the northern Rockies. (Not to mention the economic malaise brought on by the elimination of an industry.)

No one is implying this is a contest, but I, for one am saying that much of this was/is avoidable with more traditional forest management policy.

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: jmyrlefuller on June 07, 2023, 01:46:08 am --- It's not a contest, for crying out loud.

--- End quote ---

Who said it was a contest? A statement of commiseration, because we can have those conditions for months, because government will not put the fires out or allow the logging that would control it, somehow makes it a contest?

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: Smokin Joe on June 07, 2023, 02:03:19 pm ---Yep. Red sun at noon, less than 1/4 mile visibility (according to the weather service), when normally here you can see for 10+. Palpable taste of smoke in the air, serious woodsmoke smell in everything.

--- End quote ---

We only had a taste of these fires in May... filled the valley up for a few days... But I lived through that with deep foreboding... To get socked in, and so early in the season... something spooky in that...

roamer_1:
For those of y'all dealing with the smoke in hot conditions, them big, roll-around air conditioners are a life saver. Because they draw from within the house and exhaust out a window, rather than drawing from outside like most window units, the smoke will stay outside and you'll have a cool haven to return to.

libertybele:
I feel for all of those going through this, it has to be absolutely awful!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version