Author Topic: SR-72 Darkstar: The Top Gun Mach 10 Plane Might Be Real  (Read 87 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
SR-72 Darkstar: The Top Gun Mach 10 Plane Might Be Real
« on: June 04, 2023, 12:27:30 pm »
SR-72 Darkstar: The Top Gun Mach 10 Plane Might Be Real
Story by Maya Carlin • Yesterday 6:17 PM

SR-72 Artist Rendering. Image Credit: Creative Commons.

During Top Gun: Maverick, Tom Cruise hit Mach 10 in the SR-72 Darkstar. That plane might even up being real in some format:

Aviation buffs and military experts alike revere the unprecedented capabilities of an airframe produced more than forty-five years ago. As of 2022, the SR-71 Blackbird holds the world record it set in 1976 as the fastest manned-airframe on the planet. The newer and fifth-generation F-35 Joint Strike Fighter and F-22 Raptor can’t even claim this achievement. This long-retired fighter may finally meet its match, however, with its potential successor the SR-72.

As Lockheed Martin’s Mach 6.0 Blackbird 2.0, the “Darkstar” may just be a theory today but may actually take to the skies over the next decade.

When the blockbuster Tom Cruise film Top Gun: Maverick took to the screens last year, manufacturing giant Lockheed Martin hinted that the Darkstar SR-72 may already be in the works. When the hit picked up six Academy Award nominations, Lockheed congratulated those involved with Top Gun on Twitter, notably adding that “The SR-71 Blackbird is still the fastest acknowledged crewed air-breathing jet aircraft.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/sr-72-darkstar-the-top-gun-mach-10-plane-might-be-real/ar-AA1c5n6R?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=fceea3dc79fa4e8389aaf002a03e937f&ei=57
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson