Author Topic: The Russian Navy Is So Broke It Is Scraping Its Biggest Submarine Ever  (Read 85 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Russian Navy Is So Broke It Is Scraping Its Biggest Submarine Ever

ByPeter SuciuPublished13 hours ago

It all came down to costs, and Moscow apparently couldn’t afford to keep operating what had been the world’s largest nuclear-powered submarine.

In February, Russia decommissioned its Project 941 Akula-class (NATO reporting name Typhoon) heavy nuclear-powered missile-carrying submarine cruiser Dmitry Donskoy years earlier than expected. It was just two years ago that the Kremlin announced the boat would remain in service until at least 2026, even as its role was reportedly limited to that of a weapons test platform for the new Borei-, Borei-A-, Yasen- and Yasen-M-class submarines

However, this week, it was confirmed that Dmitry Donskoi was decommissioned in February due to cost considerations. It had served for more than 40 years in the Northern Fleet.

“The Dmitry Donskoi could no longer be in service due to its spent nuclear core,” a source in the Russian Navy told state media outlet Tass on Thursday.

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2023/06/the-russian-navy-is-so-broke-it-is-scraping-its-biggest-submarine-ever/?msn
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson