Author Topic: Oakland residents pack city council meeting demanding action amid massive spike in violent crime  (Read 299 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Oakland residents pack city council meeting demanding action amid massive spike in violent crime
"All the people in this room, we are the victims of a failed progressive utopia. Your policies have failed."

Jarryd Jaeger
Vancouver, BC
Jun 1, 2023

On Tuesday, hundreds of Oakland, California residents congregated in the auditorium of a local high school to voice their frustration over the city's crime problem. Dozens lined up to stand behind the microphone and tell their personal stories to North Oakland Councilman Dan Kalb, OPD Capt. Jeffrey Thomason, and Department of Violence interim chief Kentrell Killens, who sat on stage and listened to each one, even as they themselves became the focus of the ire.

Violent crime in Oakland has risen dramatically over the past year, as have robberies. There have been numerous high-profile attacks involving prominent members of the community, leaving many feeling unsafe in their own neighborhoods.

To illustrate the scope of the problem, when one woman got to the mic, she turned to the audience and asked them to raise their hands if they'd ever been assaulted, held up, or beaten. Dozens of arms shot up, followed by a chorus of "wow" as people looked around.

https://thepostmillennial.com/oakland-residents-pack-city-council-meeting-demanding-action-amid-massive-spike-in-violent-crime
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline ScottinVA

What are these people so pissed off about?  They VOTE for this every cycle!

Offline Kamaji

What are these people so pissed off about?  They VOTE for this every cycle!

Exactly!