Author Topic: Austin Underscores Importance of Partnerships in Securing a Shared Vision for Indo-Pacific  (Read 124 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Austin Underscores Importance of Partnerships in Securing a Shared Vision for Indo-Pacific
June 2, 2023 | By Joseph Clark , DOD News |   
The U.S. remains committed to a shared vision of freedom, security and prosperity in the Indo-Pacific, Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III said today.

Speaking at the International Institute for Strategic Studies Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore, Austin underscored the importance of partnerships in achieving a future for the region anchored in the adherence to international norms, respect for sovereignty and human rights and the free flow of commerce and ideas.

A man stands in front of a projection of himself.
"This vision isn't the vision or initiative of a single country," he said. "It's a common and compelling aspiration. It's about building the basic conditions that let people live their lives without fear and pursue dreams without limit. And that matters to citizens across the region."

Austin highlighted the progress the U.S. and its allies in the region have made in achieving this goal.

He noted Japan's pledge to invest $75 billion in public and private investment in regional infrastructure and India's completion of maritime exercise with members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations.

https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Stories/Article/Article/3415828/austin-underscores-importance-of-partnerships-in-securing-a-shared-vision-for-i/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
It seems to me Washington warned about entangling alliances some 250 years ago. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson