Author Topic: Air Force official’s musings on rogue drone targeting humans go viral  (Read 147 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Air Force official’s musings on rogue drone targeting humans go viral
By Stephen Losey and Colin Demarest
 Jun 2, 11:41 AM

The U.S. Air Force is developing a fleet of artificial intelligence-enabled drone wingmen to fly alongside piloted fighters. But a "thought experiment" from the service that went viral highlights the possible dangers that could come from giving autonomous drones too much power without taking ethics into consideration.

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Air Force walked back comments reportedly made by a colonel regarding a simulation in which a drone outwitted its artificial intelligence training and killed its handler, after the claims went viral on social media.

Air Force spokesperson Ann Stefanek said in a June 2 statement no such testing took place, adding that the service member’s comments were likely “taken out of context and were meant to be anecdotal.”

“The Department of the Air Force has not conducted any such AI-drone simulations and remains committed to ethical and responsible use of AI technology,” Stefanek said. “This was a hypothetical thought experiment, not a simulation.”

The killer-drone-gone-rogue episode was initially attributed to Col. Tucker “Cinco” Hamilton, the chief of AI testing and operations, in a recap from the Royal Aeronautical Society’s FCAS23 Summit in May. The summary was later updated to include additional comments from Hamilton, who said he misspoke at the conference.

https://www.armytimes.com/unmanned/uas/2023/06/02/air-force-officials-musings-on-rogue-drone-targeting-humans-go-viral/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I have to believe Russia, China, N. Korea, and Iran are more concerned about the ethics of AI than the US is. :3:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Air Force official’s musings on rogue drone targeting humans go viral
By Stephen Losey and Colin Demarest
 Jun 2, 11:41 AM

The U.S. Air Force is developing a fleet of artificial intelligence-enabled drone wingmen to fly alongside piloted fighters. But a "thought experiment" from the service that went viral highlights the possible dangers that could come from giving autonomous drones too much power without taking ethics into consideration.

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Air Force walked back comments reportedly made by a colonel regarding a simulation in which a drone outwitted its artificial intelligence training and killed its handler, after the claims went viral on social media.

Air Force spokesperson Ann Stefanek said in a June 2 statement no such testing took place, adding that the service member’s comments were likely “taken out of context and were meant to be anecdotal.”

“The Department of the Air Force has not conducted any such AI-drone simulations and remains committed to ethical and responsible use of AI technology,” Stefanek said. “This was a hypothetical thought experiment, not a simulation.”

The killer-drone-gone-rogue episode was initially attributed to Col. Tucker “Cinco” Hamilton, the chief of AI testing and operations, in a recap from the Royal Aeronautical Society’s FCAS23 Summit in May. The summary was later updated to include additional comments from Hamilton, who said he misspoke at the conference.

https://www.armytimes.com/unmanned/uas/2023/06/02/air-force-officials-musings-on-rogue-drone-targeting-humans-go-viral/

AI is already out of control -- there is no stopping it. 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.