Author Topic: Defense Innovation Unit eyes first flight of hypersonic testbed  (Read 115 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Defense Innovation Unit eyes first flight of hypersonic testbed
By Courtney Albon
 Jun 2, 03:36 PM

WASHINGTON — The Defense Innovation Unit expects to fly an experimental hypersonic cruise vehicle as early as next summer in support of the Pentagon’s drive to boost its flight-test cadence.

The agency, which aims to push technology from non-traditional and commercial companies to military users, awarded a contract in March through its Hypersonic and High-Cadence Airborne Testing Capabilities, or HyCAT, program. The company’s DART AE demonstration platform will pair with a launch provider, showcasing its ability to support Defense Department testing needs.

DIU is partnered with the Pentagon’s Test Resource Management Center and the principal director for hypersonics on the project, which aims to use commercial aircraft, payloads and supporting technology to relieve the strain on government testing infrastructure.

https://www.defensenews.com/battlefield-tech/2023/06/02/defense-innovation-unit-eyes-first-flight-of-hypersonic-testbed/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Defense Innovation Unit eyes first flight of hypersonic testbed
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 03:48:32 pm »
It seems to me the military would be wise to get what they already have working and spend less time on things like this they don't have. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson