Author Topic: As support services get to work, Albany County, New York City discuss next steps in migrant relocati  (Read 136 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
As support services get to work, Albany County, New York City discuss next steps in migrant relocations
WAMC Northeast Public Radio | By Dave Lucas
Published June 1, 2023 at 3:54 PM EDT

The Albany Ramada Inn is one location where asylum-seekers from New York City are being housed.
As thousands of asylum-seekers continue to arrive in New York City, the Big Apple and Albany County are finally "talking to" one another.

When New York City began moving migrants to upstate areas, county governments began taking steps to stop any resettlement efforts in their tracks, many County Executives, including Albany's Dan McCoy, issued states of emergency that New York City ignored. McCoy said offers to house migrants had been made to Capital Region motels.

Some of those offers were accepted and confusion ensued when asylum-seekers ended up in a Colonie motel, which happened to have an Albany zip code. Town officials immediately took steps to stop the flow. Then one bus and another arrived in the sanctuary city of Albany. McCoy says on Wednesday local leaders finally were able to connect with New York City via Zoom and Mayor Kathy Sheehan asked for a temporary stop.

https://www.wamc.org/news/2023-06-01/as-support-services-get-to-work-albany-county-new-york-city-discuss-next-steps-in-migrant-relocations
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson