Author Topic: her Problem With Recycling: It Spews Microplastics  (Read 165 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
her Problem With Recycling: It Spews Microplastics
« on: June 03, 2023, 10:56:31 am »
her Problem With Recycling: It Spews Microplastics
Recycling was already a mess. Now a study finds that one facility may emit 3 million pounds of microplastics a year.
pile of plastic

THE PLASTICS INDUSTRY has long hyped recycling, even though it is well aware that it’s been a failure. Worldwide, only 9 percent of plastic waste actually gets recycled. In the United States, the rate is now 5 percent. Most used plastic is landfilled, incinerated, or winds up drifting around the environment.

Now, an alarming new study has found that even when plastic makes it to a recycling center, it can still end up splintering into smaller bits that contaminate the air and water. This pilot study focused on a single new facility where plastics are sorted, shredded, and melted down into pellets. Along the way, the plastic is washed several times, sloughing off microplastic particles—fragments smaller than 5 millimeters—into the plant’s wastewater.

https://www.wired.com/story/yet-another-problem-with-recycling-it-spews-microplastics/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson