Author Topic: US Pentagon integrates directed-energy air defence systems  (Read 151 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US Pentagon integrates directed-energy air defence systems
« on: June 02, 2023, 01:28:46 pm »
News
June 1, 2023
US Pentagon integrates directed-energy air defence systems
The Pentagon plans to integrate directed-energy weapon systems across the entire US armed forces.

By John Hill

The US Department of Defense (DoD) has issued two contracts yesterday, 31 May, to adopt directed-energy weapon (DEW) systems for air defence and commit to funding pulsed laser research.

The first contract tasks the Alabama-based defence company, Kord Technologies, to develop, integrate, test and sustain directed-energy short-range air defence systems for the US Army.

Kord’s ‘Other Transaction Authority’ agreement – which gives the DoD flexibility to adopt business practices that reflect commercial industry standards –  is worth $158.1m.

The second contract awards the University of Rochester Laboratory for Laser Energetics $14.9m to support the Missile Defence Agency’s (MDA) innovation, science and technology pulsed laser lethality investigations.

The New York-based institution will explore the lethality modes and utility of pulsed lasers for the DoD services. To be completed by 31 May 2026, the models, simulations, and lethality toolsets developed shall support analysis against a variety of DoD threats across ground, sea, air and space domains.

https://www.airforce-technology.com/news/us-pentagon-integrates-directed-energy-air-defence-systems/
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 01:29:48 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson