Author Topic: I study migrants traveling through Mexico to the U.S. Here’s what I found.  (Read 122 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I study migrants traveling through Mexico to the U.S. Here’s what I found.

Migrants follow news of tragedies, like the fatal fire in a Ciudad Juárez detention center, but they’re not deterred in their desire to reach the U.S., a Cornell University researcher writes.
By  Angel Alfonso Escamilla García   Jun 2, 2023, 7:31am EDT

The world awoke one morning in late March 2023 to the news that at least 38 Central and South American migrants had died in a fire in a migrant detention center in Ciudad Juárez, Mexico.

A widely circulated video from closed-circuit cameras inside the detention center showed the building burning, with migrants trapped inside trying to break the metal bars of their cells — and detention center officers allegedly leaving them there.

The Mexican government has said the migrants themselves started the fire after learning they would be deported from Mexico — increasingly a destination for migrants and asylum seekers — back to their home countries.

The video spread quickly across social media, and many Mexican migrant advocacy groups and activists decried the event. Another group also paid close attention to this tragedy: migrants who are in transit through Mexico.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/6/2/23745901/migrants-mexico-u-s-border-research-immigration-policy-angel-garcia-cornell-the-conversation-op-ed
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Why do they come here?  To hear the media and democrats tell it, this is a miserable racist, sexist, uncaring, brutal place.  So why do they come?  Maybe we should ask, if they believe that nonsense, how bad are their countries and how bad will America actually become as it slides toward third world status?  How can it remain a beacon of freedom with people breaking into it who are un or under-educated, come from countries where human respect and dignity are denied, who know nothing but how to keep alive, where it is every person for him/herself?  The way the media paints America, is what it is in the process of becoming. :thud:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson