Author Topic: Migrant deaths mounting in desert west of El Paso  (Read 129 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Migrant deaths mounting in desert west of El Paso
« on: June 02, 2023, 11:36:08 am »
Migrant deaths mounting in desert west of El Paso
by: Julian Resendiz

Posted: May 31, 2023 / 04:57 PM CDT

Updated: May 31, 2023 / 05:52 PM CDT

Sunland Park records 8 fatalities in less than a month; Juarez pastor tries to persuade those ineligible for asylum to avoid deadly desert path

EL PASO, Texas (Border Report) – The desert west of El Paso has claimed eight lives in May alone, and officials fear the death toll will rise as temperatures climb.

“Last year, we had 16 to 17 deaths, so to have eight in one month is quite high,” said Daniel Medrano, fire chief in Sunland Park, New Mexico, just across the Texas state line. “We are not sure what is going on. We do believe most of them to be migrants.”

The fatalities began in the second week of May, which roughly coincides with the end of Title 42 migrant expulsions and requirements to apply for asylum online. Since then, most migrants coming into the U.S. between ports of entry have been placed on Title 8 removal procedures that carry penalties including a five-year ban on future immigration benefits and possible criminal charges for repeat offenders.

https://www.borderreport.com/regions/new-mexico/migrant-deaths-mounting-in-desert-west-of-el-paso/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Re: Migrant deaths mounting in desert west of El Paso
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 11:36:42 am »
Meh.  Stay the f**k home.