Author Topic: Social Security and Medicare Are Ticking Time Bombs  (Read 4618 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Social Security and Medicare Are Ticking Time Bombs
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2023, 03:53:44 am »
@Smokin Joe

So retire and start collecting it.

You don't really expect to collect SS and continue working for pay,do you?
I am of full retirement age, and can do both. I will work for as long as I can, because the money is worth less each day, and a combination of bad investments and misfortune have depleted my savings. I have to rebuild my 'nest egg' at this late date.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2023, 04:11:14 am »
During the latter part of the 20th century, because of the baby boom, the system worked great. .  .  .  But now, by and large, they've stopped having kids. So fewer people are paying into the system as the Boomers flip to the other side of the ledger... and that's how we're where we are at.

That is the eventual outcome with all Ponzi schemes.

Such was the surplus SS was drawing that the overall budget was balanced for a brief time in the 1990s, an extremely rare achievement.

If by "brief time" you mean several weeks or a few months, then yes, one could consider the budget to be in balance.  But for the entire fiscal year, that hasn't happened since 1957.  And even though SS was in surplus during that time, the greatest benefactor towards fiscal responsibility came from slashing Defense spending from 6% of GDP down to 3% of GDP, thanks to the Peace Dividend from ending the Cold War.

So what's the solution?

Get government's greedy hands off of it and turn it into a personal retirement account for all workers - one that actually invests the money instead of handing it over to government to spend on other stuff immediately.  Short of that, one obvious solution would be to stop paying out Social Security benefits to anyone below retirement age.  This is where 30% of all Social Security payments go.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2023, 04:14:52 am »
I am of full retirement age, and can do both. I will work for as long as I can, because the money is worth less each day, and a combination of bad investments and misfortune have depleted my savings. I have to rebuild my 'nest egg' at this late date.

I'm in the same boat, sort of.  I didn't start working a real job with a 401(k) plan until my mid-40s.  So I have a lot of catching up to do.  Planning to stay at this new job until age 70 or more.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2023, 09:01:07 am »
That's odd. Everybody  I know that paid into it got a monthly check when they retired. Even me.

Blah,blah,bullshit squared. You are PROBABLY mad because your income is so high that you  won't qualify for SS payments after you retire.

After all,it is ALL about YOU,right?

:mauslaff:

You do realize, don’t you boy, that social security is not means tested, so even the richest billionaires get it.

No, I doubt you do; rational thinking isn’t your strong suit.

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2023, 09:12:36 am »
Bkmk
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2023, 10:16:47 am »
So because the law doesn't specifically say that you won't get back everything you paid into SS that means, by default, you're owed that money?? That's the argument you're going with???

LOL!!!!! :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

@LMAO

Why not,since it is the truth?

And you don't' care about the truth. What you  REALLY  care about is the money YOU are having to pay into  the system because you think you are earning or will earn enough money that you won't need it.

AKA: Selfish self-interest.

I am betting your opinion would change quickly  if you  were somehow injured and unable to work.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2023, 10:20:58 am »

@Smokin Joe

I am sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately,there seems to be many,many people in the same boat as you these days.

Inflation is killing us all.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2023, 10:30:50 am »

Get government's greedy hands off of it and turn it into a personal retirement account for all workers - one that actually invests the money instead of handing it over to government to spend on other stuff immediately.  Short of that, one obvious solution would be to stop paying out Social Security benefits to anyone below retirement age.  This is where 30% of all Social Security payments go.

@Hoodat

I suspect that IF you could find the data that you  would discover a much larger percentage of it went to people on welfare who have never had,or even tried to have a steady job,illegal aliens.

As for the "stop paying to  those below retirement age" bullshit,providing a fund for people who become permanently injured or terminally ill with some disease is the PRIME reason SS was created. It is an insurance program for those who can't afford to buy insurance.

Face it,there are a LOT of good people out there who,for whatever reason,spent their entire working lives working the menial jobs because of a lack of education,family illnesses requiring them to only work part-time,and a host of other reasons who would be begging in the streets if it weren't for SS. And "Yes,until recent times,EVERYBODY  that drew SS money had paid into it.

It is only recently that the Dims and their RINO butt-buddies have somehow managed to change laws so they can steal that money and give it to people who have never even once paid into the system,or who have not only never paid into it,they are not even Americans.

"Vote buying" with your retirement money.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2023, 10:31:53 am »
I'm in the same boat, sort of.  I didn't start working a real job with a 401(k) plan until my mid-40s.  So I have a lot of catching up to do.  Planning to stay at this new job until age 70 or more.

@Hoodat

I planned on working until the day I died,but those plans didn't work out.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2023, 10:35:49 am »
:mauslaff:

You do realize, don’t you boy, that social security is not means tested, so even the richest billionaires get it.

No, I doubt you do; rational thinking isn’t your strong suit.

@Kamaji

Yeah,I DO realize that,you punk-ass POS.

So freaking what? They paid into it,didn't they? Why  do you have a problem with people getting what they paid for? Is it because it's all about "Me,me,ME,DAMMIT!" with you ,and you are afraid you won't get it so you don't want anyone else getting it,either?

You should change your screen name to "It's all about Me,me,ME,DAMMIT!"

Offline LMAO

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2023, 11:44:28 am »
@LMAO

And you don't' care about the truth. What you  REALLY  care about is the money YOU are having to pay into  the system because you think you are earning or will earn enough money that you won't need it.

I am betting your opinion would change quickly  if you  were somehow injured and unable to work.

How about instead of hurling insults you prove me wrong. Show me in the Social Security law where it says that you must get back everything you put in. Show me where it says the government must return everything that you’ve paid in your Social Security.

I’ll wait.

You told me I was ignorant when I said the driving force behind Social Security insolvency is demographics. I gave you a link to the Social Security administration itself that proves my point. That’s how you prove your point.

So instead of attacking other members on this issue that you’ve decided that you want to remain clearly ignorant on, put up or shut up. Link me to the Social security law itself and highlight were it says, in fact, you are owed that money.

I’ll save you time. You won’t find it. The government could announce today that they’re using all the Social Security money for green energy and you couldn’t do squat about it except bitch about it in a political forum.

And it doesn’t matter what my opinion is or what it would be if something were to happen to me. My opinion does not supersede the law.

The law, economics, mathematics, demographics, and even a supreme court ruling are not in your favor on this issue regardless how many times you lash out at other members
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 11:47:58 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2023, 11:49:56 am »
How about instead of hurling insults you prove me wrong. Show me in the Social Security law where it says that you must get back everything you put in. Show me where it says the government must return everything that you’ve paid in your Social Security.

I’ll wait.

You told me I was ignorant when I said the driving force behind Social Security insolvency is demographics. I gave you a link to the Social Security administration itself that proves my point. That’s how you prove your point.

So instead of attacking other members on this issue that you’ve decided that you want to remain clearly ignorant on, put up or shut up. Link me to the Social security law itself and highlight were it says, in fact, you are owed that money.

I’ll save you time. You won’t find it. The government could announce today that they’re using all the Social Security money for green energy and you couldn’t do squat about it except bitch about it in a political forum.

And it doesn’t matter what my opinion is or what it would be if something were to happen to me. My opinion does not supersede the law.

The law, economics, mathematics, demographics, and even a supreme court ruling are not in your favor on this issue regardless how many times you lash out at other members

:thumbsup:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2023, 02:40:38 pm »
@LMAO

@sneakypete

I stand with these fellows.

I am injured, and now back on disability.
Yet I stand with them.
Ask why.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2023, 07:39:41 pm »
@Smokin Joe

I am sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately,there seems to be many,many people in the same boat as you these days.

Inflation is killing us all.
I am just thankful that I am still able to work.
Many I know and have known are not.
I contend it keeps me young.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2023, 07:55:13 pm »

A blessing straight out of heaven, I'll tell you what. I would love nothing more than to die with my boots on.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2023, 08:41:15 pm »
A blessing straight out of heaven, I'll tell you what. I would love nothing more than to die with my boots on.
I have had a few chances to do so, but have so far resisted that call.
When it is my time, it will be my time.
Until then, I reckon God has more for me to do.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2023, 10:21:29 pm »

Even better, to have Yeshua show up at your door and tell you to put your boots on.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2023, 10:32:19 pm »
Even better, to have Yeshua show up at your door and tell you to put your boots on.

Been there done that.  happy77
And grateful for every step I have made since 2012 when he got me out of that cursed wheelchair...
But now he's gonna have to do it again.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2023, 01:23:38 am »

The ONLY reason you are making that request is because it is a Bull-Bush request,and you know it can't be proven unless someone has kept EVERY pay stubb they have gotten their whole life,as well as EVERY SS check. Who  the hell does that? If someone does,you just know  that anal people are making fun of him or her for being obsessive.

I’ll wait.

Cool beans! Might I suggest you try  holding your breath while you are waiting?

Ok,I will type this slowly  so that you might "get it". Demographics is NOT SUPPOSED  to have one single damn thing to do with  SS,because ONLY citizens who  have paid into  the system are supposed to get payments FROM the system.

The "Driving Force behind SS insolvency" is politicians from BOTH the left and the right,as well as a few from the middle,stealing money from the SS Trust Fund to buy  the votes of illegal aliens and useless scum who have never held a single steady job in their whole lives.

IF the SS Trust Fund were to have been managed properly,there probably wouldn't be any problem with  it today. Lots of people like to blame it on the illegal aliens,but the truth is they just get the money,they don't determine WHO  gets it or how much.

The people to blame are weasel politicians and political appointees. You can't really blame the illegals for getting it if it is given to them.

No.

And what would YOU do about it,bubba,continue to have hissy  fits?

The same can be said about anyone's opinion.Even the opinions of lawmakers.

Don't let it worry you. Just try holding your breath  until you turn blue.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2023, 01:26:18 am »
@sneakypete

I stand with these fellows.

I am injured, and now back on disability.
Yet I stand with them.
Ask why.

@roamer_1

Because you live like you are in the 18th  century  and live in a shack in the wilderness? Truth  to tell,you probably don't need the money because of the truth in a common truism,which states "How much money you make isn't as important as how much money you NEED." (Emphasis is mine)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2023, 01:28:38 am »

@Smokin Joe

I LOVED working and would love  to be working now,but Agent Orange and Stage 4 Lymphoma showed me who was the boss.

Not to mention having more than a few decades behind me.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2023, 01:29:35 am »

@roamer_1

THERE is something we can agree on!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2023, 01:30:52 am »
Been there done that.  happy77
And grateful for every step I have made since 2012 when he got me out of that cursed wheelchair...
But now he's gonna have to do it again.

@roamer_1

As a wise man from my army days once noted,"Getting old ain't for sissies!"

Offline LMAO

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2023, 01:48:15 am »
The ONLY reason you are making that request is because it is a Bull-Bush request,and you know it can't be proven unless someone has kept EVERY pay stubb they have gotten their whole life,as well as EVERY SS check. Who  the hell does that? If someone does,you just know  that anal people are making fun of him or her for being obsessive.

Cool beans! Might I suggest you try  holding your breath while you are waiting?

Ok,I will type this slowly  so that you might "get it". Demographics is NOT SUPPOSED  to have one single damn thing to do with  SS,because ONLY citizens who  have paid into  the system are supposed to get payments FROM the system.

The "Driving Force behind SS insolvency" is politicians from BOTH the left and the right,as well as a few from the middle,stealing money from the SS Trust Fund to buy  the votes of illegal aliens and useless scum who have never held a single steady job in their whole lives.

IF the SS Trust Fund were to have been managed properly,there probably wouldn't be any problem with  it today. Lots of people like to blame it on the illegal aliens,but the truth is they just get the money,they don't determine WHO  gets it or how much.

The people to blame are weasel politicians and political appointees. You can't really blame the illegals for getting it if it is given to them.

No.

And what would YOU do about it,bubba,continue to have hissy  fits?

The same can be said about anyone's opinion.Even the opinions of lawmakers.

Don't let it worry you. Just try holding your breath  until you turn blue.

Here’s some advice

Why don’t you get better informed on this issue before expressing your easily countered opinions

Demographics are the reason SS is insolvent. Stop blaming illegal immigration for everything you hate in the world. I provided a link to the SSA itself and you still choose to remain ignorant. Your opinions and feelings don’t supersede facts

You could deport every illegal immigrant tomorrow and SS and Medicare would still be just as insolvent

I’ll ask again. Show me were in the law were it says you’re entitled to get back everything you paid into SS. It has nothing to do with people keeping paystubs whatever the hell that even means

Do you even understand what people mean when they use the term “unfunded liabilities” when discussing this subject?

Again, here’s the link that proves my point. Since I’m sure you didn’t bother to read it, I’ll paste and excerpt:

“Due to demographic changes, the U.S. Social Security system will face financial challenges in the near future. Declining fertility rates and increasing life expectancies are causing the U.S. population to age. Today 12 percent of the total population is aged 65 or older, but by 2080, it will be 23 percent. At the same time, the working-age population is shrinking from 60 percent today to a projected 54 percent in 2080. Consequently, the Social Security system is experiencing a declining worker-to-beneficiary ratio, which will fall from 3.3 in 2005 to 2.1 in 2040 (the year in which the Social Security trust fund is projected to be exhausted). This presents a significant challenge to policymakers.”

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v66n4/v66n4p37.html

Nowhere in that do they blame illegal immigration. Now it’s your turn. Show me where all that is wrong and it’s the fault of the illegal immigrants.

I have read your replies to people on this subject, and not once have you countered with anything factual. It’s all been about “your feelings” along with a flurry of strawman arguments

I have read the Social Security law  and I’ve also read Fleming vs Nestor. There is nothing anywhere that says that you’re entitled to Social Security, and the 1960 Supreme Court ruling confirmed that. You have no say in what happens with Social Security dollars once taken out of your check. You tell me I’m wrong.  I tell you to show me where I’m wrong and so far you still haven’t.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 02:04:58 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2023, 01:57:19 am »
@roamer_1

Because you live like you are in the 18th  century  and live in a shack in the wilderness? Truth  to tell,you probably don't need the money because of the truth in a common truism,which states "How much money you make isn't as important as how much money you NEED." (Emphasis is mine)

@sneakypete

I live in a modern cabin on half an acre, 1 mile from a town of about 30k.

A little while back I took a hike through the Valley of the Shadow of Death.
Since that time, my whole pantry was hauled away because I have a salt restriction.
All of my canned meats, all my smoked meats, all my sausages. All my canned vegetables, Nearly everything. I can't have any.

Now I must eat only fresh vegetables and fruits, burger and unprocessed meat. Or frozen health food dishes that are 3 or 4 bucks a plate. I can't get up and stand in front of  stove and cook  very much yet, so it's mostly the frozen spendy meals.

I can't hunt. I can't fish. I can't chop wood. I can't get down on the ground to build a fire.
And I can't work. Not even at my computer bench.

I still have my place up the holler, but I can't get there, and couldn't live up there if I tried.
Everything I need from town has to be brought to me, often by a service. Someone else mows my lawn and plows my drive, sometimes a service.

I DO still have a freezer full of meat, but it ain't what it was, and it won't be there for next winter, for sure.

So go on in your evaluation of my lesser need.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 01:58:36 am by roamer_1 »