Author Topic: MA - Stimulus check update: Applications for monthly payments worth $500 open Thursday  (Read 889 times)

Offline mountaineer

Stimulus check update: Applications for monthly payments worth $500 open Thursday
by Asher Notheis, Breaking News Reporter
June 01, 2023 10:15 AM
Washington Examiner
Applications for a new guaranteed income program in Massachusetts opened on Thursday, with selected participants receiving monthly payments of $500 from this program.

The applications for the program, Rise Up Cambridge, will remain open for about two months and will close on July 31. Applications will be approved on a rolling basis.

The payments are intended to help households with at least one child, and they are being funded by a $22 million commitment from Cambridge, Massachusetts. Recipients selected for the program will be given monthly installments of $500 for 18 months for a total of $9,000 each. There is no restriction as to what the recipients can spend the funds on.

The money recipients get from the monthly installments will not need to be reported as taxable income.

In addition to receiving the monthly payments, recipients can make money by participating in surveys or by documenting their experiences in the program. These surveys or documents will be optional, but those who partake in them will be compensated for the time spent on the side projects.

To qualify for the program, an applicant must be a resident of Cambridge, be at least 18 years old, and have at least one person in their household under 21. The household's income must also be at or below 250% of the federal poverty level. ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

The money recipients get from the monthly installments will not need to be reported as taxable income.

Is that for federal purposes as well as for MA state purposes?

Offline mountaineer

Do I have to report this money as income on my taxes?

No, you do not need to report this money as taxable income. This money counts as "qualified disaster relief." See IRS guidance here.

https://www.cambridgema.gov/riseup

Offline Kamaji

Do I have to report this money as income on my taxes?

No, you do not need to report this money as taxable income. This money counts as "qualified disaster relief." See IRS guidance here.

https://www.cambridgema.gov/riseup

Thanks.  How is having messed up one's own life a "qualified disaster" which entitles one to tax-free relief?

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Is that for federal purposes as well as for MA state purposes?

Moot point.  We pretty much know they don't pay Fed Taxes anyway if they even file.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline mountaineer

I'm just surprised at all the (supposedly) impoverished people in Cambridge. I thought it was a prosperous part of Boston, but considering this program and the fact that the Tsarnaev family were living there on welfare ...  :shrug:

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The City of Cambridge is essentially offering cost of living subsidies rather than implementing public policy to reduce the cost of living, mainly housng.
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Haha, cambridge is a bleep joke. I suppose it's better than reparations though.

Offline LMAO

So…… What happens with that money runs out?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline DefiantMassRINO

... when the money runs out, Cambridge will ask Mass, the Feds, or its own residents for more $$$
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
So…… What happens with that money runs out?

Being a local/state municipality they'll find something to tax. Federally we'd be looking at the printing presses. Anything to get reelected.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The City of Cambridge is essentially offering cost of living subsidies rather than implementing public policy to reduce the cost of living, mainly housng.

@DefiantMassRINO

Well,the elites don't want to lose their gardeners,maids,babysitters,drivers,etc,etc,etc due to not being able to pay  the rent,so why not let the other taxpayers pay them so they can still afford to work for the wealthy?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@DefiantMassRINO

Well,the elites don't want to lose their gardeners,maids,babysitters,drivers,etc,etc,etc due to not being able to pay  the rent,so why not let the other taxpayers pay them so they can still afford to work for the wealthy?
You left out the people collecting that rent...who, likely, are among the elites or their cronies/relatives.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
You left out the people collecting that rent...who, likely, are among the elites or their cronies/relatives.

@Smokin Joe

Usually,but not always. I have known several people who owned ONE piece of rental property. Most inherited it,and were in a position where they didn't have to sell it to pay their bills. They didn't get or "live rich",but there can be no doubt it made a difference even if they had to spend money on upkeep and taxes.

Seems like today everybody is after the "quick dollar" and can't wait to sell the house they inherited so they can all buy new 4x4's with big tires and chrome wheels.

Granted,in some cases the inheritance taxes can be so high they have no  real option other than to  sell.

Frankly,I honestly  don't understand how a lot of people under 40 are making ends meet these days,unless all the automotive/motor home/matching Harley and HUGE new house "bling" I see them buying these days comes from inheritances.

I see working class people in their 30's with a couple  of kids moving into this area,and buying a new house,his and her 4x4's,and who knows what else,yet I see them both driving off to work every day.

The ONLY way  that really adds up in MY mind is they inheritied their parents property up north,sold it,and used  the money to move south and buy a new house and a lot of bling.

And given the out of control inflation,they may be a lot smarter than I am because  cash money seems  to buy less with each day that passes. You can barely buy  a small coffee at Hardess or Mickey  D's these days for a dollar,so maybe it IS better to spend that money today on a new home and new cars that it is to save it and see it become worth less every day?

At least you end up with a new home and new cars to drive to work that are paid for.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 10:55:31 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!