Author Topic: Trump vows to end birthright citizenship for illegal aliens if president again  (Read 2287 times)

Offline Kamaji

Trump vows to end birthright citizenship for illegal aliens if president again

By Josh Christenson
May 30, 2023

Former President Donald Trump pledged Tuesday to enact an executive order ending birthright citizenship guarantees for children of illegal aliens if he regains the White House in 2024, despite past constitutional objections and failures to follow through on the move.

Trump, 76, said the agenda for his second nonconsecutive term would end both birthright citizenship and so-called “birth tourism” in the US on his first day in office — a proposal he also floated before and during his first term in the Oval Office.

“My policy will choke off a major incentive for continued illegal immigration, deter more migrants from coming, and encourage many of the aliens Joe Biden has unlawfully let into our country to go back to their home countries,” Trump said in an Agenda 47 announcement video, calling the policy a “willful misinterpretation of the law by the open borders advocates.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/05/30/trump-vows-to-end-birthright-citizenship-for-illegal-aliens/

Offline Kamaji

:mauslaff:

Delusional twit.  So now a mere executive order supersedes the text of the U.S. Constitution itself?

Of course, plenty of marks will lap this sh*t up.

Offline libertybele

Delusional twit.  So now a mere executive order supersedes the text of the U.S. Constitution itself?

What is he thinking??? He opens his mouth and inserts his foot and it's not the first time he's announced he's going to do something and because of a pesky document called the Constitution he can't.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Is he going to single handedly do this before or after he ejects all the illegals from the United States. Trump makes ridiculous unkeepable promises and yet we are still told he's not a politician.

:pondering: Will he make it retroactive stripping citizenship from people like me who were born before their parents became citizens?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 07:54:55 pm by GtHawk »

Offline Hoodat

Former President Donald Trump pledged Tuesday to enact an executive order ending birthright citizenship guarantees for children of illegal aliens if he regains the White House in 2024, despite past constitutional objections and failures to follow through on the move.

I have a better idea.  Why not enforce the law instead.  Prosecute people in this country illegally.  Convict them.  Sentence them.  And when their sentences are complete, they get kicked the hell out.  And if they want to leave their US citizen children behind, they have to forfeit any and all parental rights.

Of course we all remember where Trump was on this back in 2016.  His great idea then was to deport all illegals, and then fast-track them right back into the country, making them 'legal'.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online berdie

This has always been an issue I think needs to be addressed. Anchor babies and birth tourism are misinterpretations of the Constitution.

Would it be so that it could be banished by one person. But it can't be.

This is a worthy "promise" but I fear it ranks up there with Mexico paying for the wall.

Offline Kamaji

This has always been an issue I think needs to be addressed. Anchor babies and birth tourism are misinterpretations of the Constitution.

Would it be so that it could be banished by one person. But it can't be.

This is a worthy "promise" but I fear it ranks up there with Mexico paying for the wall.

No, actually, they aren't a misinterpretation of the Constitution.  The provisions in the 14th Amendment were written very broadly, intentionally, to include everyone who was born within the physical confines of the U.S., excepting only certain indians and ambassadors and their staff.

Offline libertybele

No, actually, they aren't a misinterpretation of the Constitution.  The provisions in the 14th Amendment were written very broadly, intentionally, to include everyone who was born within the physical confines of the U.S., excepting only certain indians and ambassadors and their staff.

There have been numerous debates and constitutional scholars weighing in on the issue of anchor babies.  Any pregnant Juanita can enter this country ILLEGALLY, deliver a baby and that baby is then a U.S. citizen.  I see it as wrong!!  Any pregnant women who is also a terrorist can deliver a baby and that baby is then a U.S. citizen -- wrong again.

PARENTS need to be citizens of the U.S. in order for their babies to be citizens period.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

There have been numerous debates and constitutional scholars weighing in on the issue of anchor babies.  Any pregnant Juanita can enter this country ILLEGALLY, deliver a baby and that baby is then a U.S. citizen.  I see it as wrong!!  Any pregnant women who is also a terrorist can deliver a baby and that baby is then a U.S. citizen -- wrong again.

PARENTS need to be citizens of the U.S. in order for their babies to be citizens period.

It may very well be wrong; it may be bad policy; but that doesn't change the fact that it is what the Constitution provides for.  One solution is, as has been noted, to rigorously enforce immigration law - a policy I whole-heartedly accept; however, if one manages to get through - for example, by overstaying a visitor or student visa, and then gives birth, that child will still be a U.S. citizen.

Otherwise, it'll be necessary to amend the Constitution.

Offline libertybele

It may very well be wrong; it may be bad policy; but that doesn't change the fact that it is what the Constitution provides for.  One solution is, as has been noted, to rigorously enforce immigration law - a policy I whole-heartedly accept; however, if one manages to get through - for example, by overstaying a visitor or student visa, and then gives birth, that child will still be a U.S. citizen.

Otherwise, it'll be necessary to amend the Constitution.

Yes, of course, that's the whole point -- there has been so much controversy on this issue that they need to amend the Constitution.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 09:06:45 pm by libertybele »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

They were written to include former slaves and their descendants and none other.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 09:21:08 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online berdie

They were written to include former slaves and their descendants and none other.

That is how I have always read the 14th as well @Bigun . Given the time period it was written that is all it could refer to.

Has it been misused? You betcha!

Offline Kamaji

Absolute nonsense.  They were written to include everyone other than tribal indians and ambassadors.  The legislative history makes that clear beyond peradventure.  Furthermore, the words themselves in the 14th Amendment are quite clear, so there isn't even any basis for going behind the words themselves to have recourse to the legislative history.

Offline libertybele

Absolute nonsense.  They were written to include everyone other than tribal indians and ambassadors.  The legislative history makes that clear beyond peradventure.  Furthermore, the words themselves in the 14th Amendment are quite clear, so there isn't even any basis for going behind the words themselves to have recourse to the legislative history.

I disagree.  If the 14th amendment was so clear, there wouldn't be so much controversy over its meaning.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

You want to know what absolute nonsense is? It's the idea that ANYONE would pass an amendment to the constitution that would automatically confer citizenship on the child of ANYONE from ANYWHERE who could somehow manage to get herself onto U. S. soil for long enough to have a child. THAT sir is ABSOLUTE nonsense!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

I disagree.  If the 14th amendment was so clear, there wouldn't be so much controversy over its meaning.

Hardly.  There is controversy because so many people do not like the implications of the 14th Amendment, and would prefer to impose their own personal political beliefs on the Constitution.  That is a vice that is not solely limited to liberals.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The issue of birthright citizenship and the Fourteenth Amendment will remain ambiguous until a definitive decision is rendered by the U.S. Supreme Court.

If Mr. Trump can force their hand -- one way or the other -- then more power to him.

Offline Kamaji

You want to know what absolute nonsense is? It's the idea that ANYONE would pass an amendment to the constitution that would automatically confer citizenship on the child of ANYONE from ANYWHERE who could somehow manage to get herself onto U. S. soil for long enough to have a child. THAT sir is ABSOLUTE nonsense!

Then I guess the Congress that passed the 14th Amendment were fools, because that is precisely what they did.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
The issue of birthright citizenship and the Fourteenth Amendment will remain ambiguous until a definitive decision is rendered by the U.S. Supreme Court.

If Mr. Trump can force their hand -- one way or the other -- then more power to him.

They have twice now weighed in on the matter @Fishrrman !

In the Slaughterhouse Cases, the Court wrote that “[t]he phrase, ‘subject to its jurisdiction’ was intended to exclude from its operation children of … citizens or subjects of foreign States born within the United States.” That is as absolute and complete a statement as can be imagined, and it would deny birthright citizenship to a child born in this country to undocumented immigrants or to a transient alien mother.

Then, two years later, in Minor v. Happersett, the Court unanimously and expressly recognized the existence of “doubts” that citizenship was automatic for “children born within the jurisdiction without reference to the citizenship of their parents,” after noting that citizenship attaches only when the immigrant owes “allegiance” to this country.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Then I guess the Congress that passed the 14th Amendment were fools, because that is precisely what they did.

I'm quite sure that was drummed into your head at law school, but the fact is that it just isn't true!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online berdie

Sorry, but I must respectfully disagree. The legislative history is very revelant. This is one of the "slave amendments" is it not? It has nothing to do with anchor babies. That is a more recent bastardazation of the amendment. Illegal immigration wasn't an issue at the time.

Offline Kamaji

I'm quite sure that was drummed into your head at law school, but the fact is that it just isn't true!

No lawschool required, just the text of the 14th Amendment itself.

Offline Kamaji

Sorry, but I must respectfully disagree. The legislative history is very revelant. This is one of the "slave amendments" is it not? It has nothing to do with anchor babies. That is a more recent bastardazation of the amendment. Illegal immigration wasn't an issue at the time.

Sorry, what matters - especially with the Constitution - is the words themselves as written, not the words that we wish had been written.  The words of the 14th Amendment are pretty clear.

Sort of like the Second Amendment.  But that doesn't stop controversy being generated by people who wish the Second Amendment said something other than what it actually says.

Offline Kamaji

Ahh well.  That's why we have the Supreme Court:  to protect us, as much as possible, from people who wish to impose their personal desires on the the words of the Constitution itself, and thence to impose their personal predilections on the rest of us.

Online berdie

Sorry, what matters - especially with the Constitution - is the words themselves as written, not the words that we wish had been written.  The words of the 14th Amendment are pretty clear.

Sort of like the Second Amendment.  But that doesn't stop controversy being generated by people who wish the Second Amendment said something other than what it actually says.

So, what you are telling me, is that both the 2nd and the 14th are being interpreted by the supporters of specific causes for their own benefit? History is very revalent to both.

I will agree with the issue of controversy.