Author Topic: ‘I don’t feel welcome’: Crash survivor believes driver targeted migrants at bus stop  (Read 168 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
‘I don’t feel welcome’: Crash survivor believes driver targeted migrants at bus stop
by: Sandra Sanchez

Posted: May 8, 2023 / 08:05 PM CDT

Updated: May 10, 2023 / 01:14 PM CDT

BROWNSVILLE, Texas (Border Report) — The deaths of eight men at a bus stop across from a migrant shelter in Brownsville, Texas was being called a “hate crime” and by some a “tragic accident” by others, as a memorial for the victims grew with visitors on Monday.

At least 10 others were injured Sunday when a gray SUV plowed into the group that was waiting for a city bus across from the nonprofit Ozanam Center, an overnight shelter that helps migrants.

The driver, who police on Monday identified as George Alvarez, 34, has been charged with eight counts of manslaughter and 10 counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. His bond was set at $3.6 million, and he has a lengthy criminal record, Brownsville Police Chief Felix Sauceda said Monday.

https://www.borderreport.com/immigration/border-crime/i-dont-feel-welcome-crash-survivor-feels-driver-targeted-migrants-at-bus-stop/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I remember feeling unwelcome in America, too.  It was while I was in the Navy during Viet Nam and being homeported in Mejifornia.  People in the military definitely weren't welcome there.  Plus, as long as my ship was there, I was there.  Not being the type of person who stays around where I'm not welcome, I found places where, at least, I wasn't unwelcome.  Like the San Diego Zoo, or the ocean.  I didn't whine no one liked me and present some sorry sob story about how my feeling were hurt.  Not one person out there is put on this earth to make me feel better about how I was treated and so I didn't go where I wasn't welcome.  No big deal.  If illegals don't feel welcome, they can do more than I could - LEAVE!!
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson