Author Topic: How a drought affects trees depends on what’s been holding them back  (Read 119 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
How a drought affects trees depends on what’s been holding them back
1 day ago Charles Rotter 30 Comments
Hmmmm…I wonder if this has any ramifications for treemometersTM, aka tree-ring circuses ~cr

How a drought affects trees depends on what’s been holding them back

In cold, harsh environments, drought can actually benefit the trees by extending the growing season

Peer-Reviewed Publication

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA – SANTA BARBARA

Whitebark Pines
IMAGE: WHITEBARK PINES GROWING IN COLD, HIGH ELEVATION REGIONS GREW MORE DURING DROUGHTS, WHICH LENGTHENED THEIR GROWING SEASON. view more CREDIT: JOAN DUDNEY
(Santa Barbara, Calif.) — Droughts can be good for trees. Certain trees, that is.

Contrary to expectation, sometimes a record-breaking drought can increase tree growth. Why and where this happens is the subject of a new paper in Global Change Biology.

A team of scientists led by Joan Dudney at UC Santa Barbara examined the drought response of endangered whitebark pine over the past century. They found that in cold, harsh environments — often at high altitudes and latitudes — drought can actually benefit the trees by extending the growing season. This research provides insights into where the threats from extreme drought will be greatest, and how different species and ecosystems will respond to climate change.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/05/29/how-a-drought-affects-trees-depends-on-whats-been-holding-them-back/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson