State Chapters > Texas

Texas Legislature Fails to Pass Most of Gov. Greg Abbott’s Priorities

(1/2) > >>

Elderberry:
Texas Scorecard by  Brandon Waltens May 28, 2023

Border security, bail reform, school choice, and property tax relief have failed to reach the finish line.

The regular legislative session is set to end today, but lawmakers should be prepared to come back for overtime.
At the beginning of the session, Gov. Greg Abbott announced seven priority items. When the session ends on Monday, only three of those priorities will reach his desk.
While the Legislature passed legislation addressing COVID mandates, the fentanyl crisis, and school safety, other priorities failed to reach the finish line, including:

•   Border security

•   Bail reform

•   School choice

•   Property tax relief

Texas’ part-time Legislature is known for meeting relatively infrequently, especially when compared to smaller states. While many state legislatures meet year-round or hold legislative sessions annually, the Texas Legislature holds its sessions every two years for 140 days. During that time, thousands of bills, of varying priority to citizens and statewide officials, are filed. The only business the Legislature is constitutionally obligated to pass, however, is a balanced biennial budget.

But what if the session ends and there is still business the governor wants to see completed? In that case, the governor is allowed to call a special session.

More: https://texasscorecard.com/state/texas-legislature-fails-to-pass-most-of-gov-greg-abbotts-priorities/

Smokin Joe:
Frankly, I'm gobsmacked that Border Security hasn't been addressed. **nononono*

sneakypete:

--- Quote from: Smokin Joe on May 29, 2023, 08:07:16 am ---Frankly, I'm gobsmacked that Border Security hasn't been addressed. **nononono*

--- End quote ---

@Smokin Joe

Don't feel lonesome. No matter how hard I try,I just can't imagine that being ignored in Texas.

Fishrrman:
Sneakypete commented:
"No matter how hard I try,I just can't imagine that being ignored in Texas."

Texas is gettin' closer and closer to "tippin' towards the purple side" of politics.

First purple.
Then... pure blue.

This is reaching a point where it will soon become irreversible (at least so long as Texas remains a part of "the union")...

sneakypete:

--- Quote from: Fishrrman on May 29, 2023, 09:58:58 pm ---Sneakypete commented:
"No matter how hard I try,I just can't imagine that being ignored in Texas."

Texas is gettin' closer and closer to "tippin' towards the purple side" of politics.

First purple.
Then... pure blue.

This is reaching a point where it will soon become irreversible (at least so long as Texas remains a part of "the union")...

--- End quote ---

@Fishrrman

Can you say "Leftist refugees from Ca!"?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version