Author Topic: Biodegradable plastic in clothing doesn't break down nearly as quickly as hoped—new research  (Read 288 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
MAY 27, 2023

Editors' notes
Biodegradable plastic in clothing doesn't break down nearly as quickly as hoped—new research
by Keiron Roberts, Fay Couceiro and Muhammad Ali, The Conversation

Discarded clothing is responsible for millions of tonnes of plastic waste each year. Credit: Yudhistira99/Shutterstock
Plastic pollution has emerged as one of the most pressing environmental challenges of our time. Over 100 million tons of plastic enters the environment each year, with more than 10 million tons ending up in our oceans. These plastics break down into harmful microplastic particles so small they can be consumed by wildlife.

We all recognize discarded bottles and bags as plastic waste. But the synthetic fibers that are woven into our clothing—polyester, nylon, acrylic and others—are equally problematic. Every year, more than 60 million tons of plastic fabric is produced, a considerable amount of which ultimately finds it way to landfill.

One promising approach to tackle this crisis is the use of "biodegradable" plastics. These plastics are designed to break down naturally into gases and water, which are then released back into the environment without causing long-lasting damage.

https://phys.org/news/2023-05-biodegradable-plastic-doesnt-quickly-hopednew.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson