Author Topic: Every grave at Arlington could have a flower for Memorial Day after last-minute rush of donations  (Read 124 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Every grave at Arlington could have a flower for Memorial Day after last-minute rush of donations
By DOUG G. WARE
STARS AND STRIPES • May 26, 2023

WASHINGTON – All 300,000 graves at Arlington National Cemetery could have a flower placed on its headstone for Memorial Day after a last-minute rush of donations and some help from the floral industry.

“This outpouring of support shows the patriotic spirit of so many Americans,” said Ramiro Penaherrera, the executive director of The Memorial Day Flowers Foundation, the nonprofit organization in charge of the annual practice of placing flowers at the graves for the holiday.

The foundation said last week that it only had enough money to place flowers on about half of the military graves at the cemetery, which occupies 640 acres in Arlington, Va., across the Potomac River from Washington.

But the foundation has received an influx of donations in the last several days, including help from importers in the flower industry. Various florists have sent flowers to Arlington for the foundation’s Flowers of Remembrance Day on Sunday.

https://www.stripes.com/veterans/2023-05-26/arlington-cemetery-flowers-memorial-day-10247035.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
With the size of the Pentagon budget, that seems like something that should be automatically paid for on Memorial Day - if the elite at the Pentagon really cared. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson