Author Topic: Do you want it by the kilogram or by the joule? Questions looming in hydrogen supply chains  (Read 322 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
26 May 2023 / Ellen Phiddian
Do you want it by the kilogram or by the joule? Questions looming in hydrogen supply chains

With several international partnerships already in train, and a $2 billion injection from the most recent federal budget, Australia is placing big bets on hydrogen fuel.

Hydrogen looks like one of the best ways to store and transport renewable energy – but as a flammable, leaky gas, there are still big questions around how hydrogen itself should be made, stored and transported.

Pure hydrogen, H2, can be transported as a compressed gas, or super-cooled until it’s a liquid. It can also be reacted with other chemicals to become more stable. Two of the most promising ways to do this are as ammonia (NH3) or methanol (CH3OH).

Which of these will work best?

https://cosmosmagazine.com/technology/energy/hydrogen-supply-chain-australia/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A whole new language is beginning to appear thanks to global warming.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Doesn't matter. In then end they'll want your 'family joules' for you to get around.

What we have, works.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
In the energy war between the normal folk and the greenunists, I regard hydrogen as being analogous to "the McGuffin" in an Alfred Hitchcock film.

That is to say, it's a moderate diversion that really has little to bear on the real plot. Matters not to how the story goes...

Offline roamer_1

Doesn't matter. In then end they'll want your 'family joules' for you to get around.

What we have, works.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I am alright with change. Look at batt operated tools v. corded tools and how they have changed the job site and shop.... It is getting to where air compressors have become an anachronism.

But that's because the batt tools are better for about 80% of the everyday use.

They didn't need no subsidy.
They didn't need political shaming.
They weren't shoved down our throats.

They just worked... And the market decided.

Offline Smokin Joe

I am alright with change. Look at batt operated tools v. corded tools and how they have changed the job site and shop.... It is getting to where air compressors have become an anachronism.

But that's because the batt tools are better for about 80% of the everyday use.

They didn't need no subsidy.
They didn't need political shaming.
They weren't shoved down our throats.

They just worked... And the market decided.
Yep. Things that are better don't need mandates, or subsidies.

Funny, I have air tools, and gas powered tools too, and the air tools are a lot cheaper than those electric ones, even if i am stuck with the umbilical...  They each have their place, and use where they are better.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Yep. Things that are better don't need mandates, or subsidies.

Funny, I have air tools, and gas powered tools too, and the air tools are a lot cheaper than those electric ones, even if i am stuck with the umbilical...  They each have their place, and use where they are better.

Oh sure... I am an air tool freak. And I still have corded versions for construction tools too...

The batt sawzall is probably the best example... For most of the time, for small jobs, it is one of my favorite tools.

But I ain't gonna bust up a car with it... For that I am gonna go get the real one. Drills? Nine out of ten times, I will go to the batts... Till I need a hole hawg, then nothing else will do... Or if I am screwing off a whole-house sheetrock job, or tin roof... then the corded stuff comes out, because the batts just can't do that as well...

I am right on the verge of Ryobi invading my shop bench... I dearly love my 3/8 blip gun and the little Rodac screwdriver that have been my bench tools my whole life - that Rodac don't even have a place to be put away - It is always hanging from a coily hose above the bench.

But even those...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 10:18:01 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Smokin Joe

Oh sure... I am an air tool freak. And I still have corded versions for construction tools too...

The batt sawzall is probably the best example... For most of the time, for small jobs, it is one of my favorite tools.

But I ain't gonna bust up a car with it... For that I am gonna go get the real one. Drills? Nine out of ten times, I will go to the batts... Till I need a hole hawg, then nothing else will do... Or if I am screwing off a whole-house sheetrock job, or tin roof... then the corded stuff comes out, because the batts just can't do that as well...

I am right on the verge of Ryobi invading my shop bench... I dearly love my 3/8 blip gun and the little Rodac screwdriver that have been my bench tools my whole life - that Rodac don't even have a place to be put away - It is always hanging from a coily hose above the bench.

But even those...
The Batt sawzall is one of my favorites--for trimming trees and light brush, among other things! They make a blade for most everything, and I have a bunch of em.

C S Lewis