Author Topic: Environmental NGOs In The Global South: Saviors Of Humanity Or Predatory Special Interests?  (Read 156 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Environmental NGOs In The Global South: Saviors Of Humanity Or Predatory Special Interests?
Tilak Doshi
Contributor
I analyze energy economics and related public policy issues.

May 23, 2023,01:12pm EDT

On Friday, the Moscow Times announced the closure of Greenpeace Russia following the government authorities’ decision to label it “undesirable,” a designation that renders all its activities illegal. The Prosecutor-General's Office claimed that the group "intervenes in Russia's internal affairs," financially supports "foreign agents," and that its activities "pose a threat to the foundation of the constitutional system and security of the Russian Federation." It also said that after the beginning of the war in Ukraine, "Greenpeace activists have been involved in anti-Russia propaganda, calling for the further economic isolation of our country, and an increase in sanctions" imposed on Moscow.

In response, Greenpeace Russia said “By destroying Greenpeace for being critical of environmental issues, the country loses one of its leading experts in solving environmental problems.” Over the past 30 years, the organization has played a role bringing to the attention of society and policy makers the myriad environmental problems in the country, from illegal deforestation to the pollution of lakes and rivers, waste management and recycling and so on. The organization argued that “We are doing everything possible to ensure that people in our country live in favorable environmental conditions…Can the protection of the country's nature be contrary to its interests?”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tilakdoshi/2023/05/23/environmental-ngos-in-the-global-south-saviors-of-humanity-or-predatory-special-interests/?sh=6fee2b8b59aa
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson