Author Topic: Yellen says government could run out of cash by June 5 without debt ceiling agreement  (Read 453 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Published May 26, 2023 4:28pm EDT
Yellen says government could run out of cash by June 5 without debt ceiling agreement
The update gives Congress and the White House a little more time to reach a deal

By Elizabeth Elkind FOXBusiness

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen told Congress Friday that the U.S. government is now expected to run out of cash to pay its current obligations by June 5, updating her previous estimate that said the day could come as early as June 1.

"Since January, I have highlighted to you the risk that Treasury would be unable to satisfy all of our obligations by early June if Congress did not raise or suspend the debt limit before that time. In my letters, I also noted that I would continue to update Congress as more information became available," Yellen wrote to House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif.

"Based on the most recent available data, we now estimate that Treasury will have insufficient resources to satisfy the government’s obligations if Congress has not raised or suspended the debt limit by June 5," she wrote.

Yellen said she was forced to tap into an extraordinary measure not invoked since 2015 to ensure the government has enough cash on hand to operate, many of which involve delayed payments to federal worker retirement plans. She outlined a series of payments that the government wants to make on time in the June 5 week, but may not be able to without an agreement to borrow more.

more
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/yellen-government-cash-june-5-debt-ceiling-agreement
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
This is such bullshit..just yesterday the deadline for a budget deal was June 1st....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline berdie

This is such bullshit..just yesterday the deadline for a budget deal was June 1st....

Sounds to me like she's assisting Biden in his negotiations to pressure the Pubs. But, I admit, I'm a cynic.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She is all over the place

Yellen says odds of US paying all its bills by June 15 is ‘quite low’ as debt ceiling deadline looms

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/yellen-says-odds-of-us-paying-all-its-bills-by-june-15-is-quite-low-as-debt-ceiling-deadline-looms/ar-AA1btTOk
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Offline mountaineer

J.D. Vance
@JDVance1
Around June 15 Treasury takes in more than enough cash to fund obligations through at least mid July.* The early June crisis is a creation of the Biden administration to put pressure on Republicans.

*The reason is that end of June is the end of Q2, so quarterly filers start sending a lot of resources to Treasury in mid-June.
11:01 AM · May 27, 2023
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

J.D. Vance
@JDVance1
Around June 15 Treasury takes in more than enough cash to fund obligations through at least mid July.* The early June crisis is a creation of the Biden administration to put pressure on Republicans.

*The reason is that end of June is the end of Q2, so quarterly filers start sending a lot of resources to Treasury in mid-June.
11:01 AM · May 27, 2023

Good point.  June 15 is also the automatically extended due date for NRAs and U.S. citizens/residents living abroad to file their U.S. individual income tax returns, and many of those will include payments of tax as well.

Offline Hoodat

Didn't Yellin tell us back on Jan 19 that we already hit the debt ceiling?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

She is all over the place

Yellen says odds of US paying all its bills by June 15 is ‘quite low’ as debt ceiling deadline looms

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/yellen-says-odds-of-us-paying-all-its-bills-by-june-15-is-quite-low-as-debt-ceiling-deadline-looms/ar-AA1btTOk

The only bills the US has are government bonds and contractual obligations to third parties.  Other than that, everything else is on the chopping block including government salaries, 'entitlements' [sic], free stuff for illegals, grants, loans, etc.

And if they furlough government workers, under no circumstances should those workers be given back pay once the crisis ends.  Federal workers already make substantially more than private sector workers.  The tradeoff is that they are subjected to salary losses when they are furloughed.  I have had to endure that twice over the last 15 years myself (except that I still had to work the same amount of hours for less money while they get to stay home with their families).
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

Yeah, is it possible Yellen is just plain incompetent, dishonest and/or stupid?  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Yeah, is it possible Yellen is just plain incompetent, dishonest and/or stupid?  :pondering:
Can I pick all three please?