Author Topic: GOP debt ceiling negotiator: ‘Hell no!’ to dropping work requirements demand  (Read 315 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 GOP debt ceiling negotiator: ‘Hell no!’ to dropping work requirements demand
by Mike Lillis - 05/26/23 2:44 PM ET

A top GOP lawmaker negotiating an elusive debt ceiling deal was adamant Friday that Republicans will not drop their demand for tougher work requirements as part of a final agreement — a major sticking point at the 11th hour of the talks.

“Hell no, hell no!,” Rep. Garret Graves (R-La.) told reporters outside the Capitol.

“Not a chance. Not happening.”

The work requirements provision has emerged as perhaps the highest barrier to a deal between Republicans and the White House in recent days, when negotiators appear to have made progress on other issues pertaining to spending caps and timeline for extending the government’s borrowing authority. A failure of Congress to act would result in the first default in U.S. history, which could happen as early as June 1.

Republicans believe adopting tougher work requirements for social benefit programs, like the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), will discourage recipients from abusing the payments and becoming reliant on government largesse, while helping understaffed businesses with a new pool of low-income workers.

“Think about this for just a minute: Democrats right now are willing to default on the debt so they can continue making welfare payments for people that are refusing to work. And I’m talking about people that are without dependents, people that are able-bodied between 18 and 55,” Graves said.

“I mean, if you’re really going to fall on the sword for that, versus actually negotiating something that changes the trajectory of the country for spending?” he added. “I mean, that’s crazy to me that we’re even having this debate.”

Democrats have a decidedly different view, arguing social benefit programs already have work requirements in place, and making them more stringent would only hurt low-income people who depend on SNAP and other federal programs for basic necessities.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4022719-gop-debt-ceiling-negotiator-hell-no-to-dropping-work-requirements-demand/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Biden says he's 'very optimistic' over debt ceiling; deal could come Friday night
Haisten Willis

A debt ceiling deal could be reached as soon as Friday night.

President Joe Biden said as much Friday afternoon before departing for Camp David, saying, "Things are looking good. I'm very optimistic."

"I'm hopeful we'll know by tonight whether we are going to be able to have a deal,” Biden said.

Negotiators from the White House have been meeting with Republicans from the House of Representatives all week in an attempt to compromise on raising the nation's debt limit. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen now says the ceiling won't be reached until June 5, but talks may not go down to the wire.

Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-NC), one of Speaker Kevin McCarthy's negotiators, said there are still some things the two parties have to work through and that he doesn't know how long that's going to take but that Biden's comments are a "hopeful sign" to him.

"The hopeful sign that the president is saying those things tells me his White House team might be in a better disposition than what we've seen in previous days,” McHenry said. "The president said hope and I concur."

The final sticking point appears to be new work requirements the GOP wants to qualify for entitlement programs, which would only apply to able-bodied adults without dependents.

Asked if he would bow to Republican demands on work requirements, Biden said, “I don’t bow to anybody."

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/white-house/biden-very-optimistic-over-debt-ceiling-deal-friday
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

Gee, how about fighting for a balanced budget?  What a flippin' concept.  What about $$ for building the dang wall and securing our borders?? 

Nah, McCarthy is going to fold like a cheap suit.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 12:43:39 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online corbe

I'd bet $$$$B for the IRS hasn't been resolved yet either.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.