Author Topic: BREAKING REPORT: GOP Speaker McCarthy Caved, Debt Ceiling Deal Reached Through Handshake  (Read 2142 times)

Offline American Girl

The mortgage on your children’s future is being refinanced, and the only question is: how much cash-out?

If there's one thing the uniparty can always be trusted to agree on it's stealing money from real Americans, so this would make perfect sense

https://www.rightjournalism.com/breaking-report-gop-speaker-mccarthy-caved-debt-ceiling-deal-reached-through-handshake/

Offline libertybele

That SOB!!! He and the GOP had the upperhand yet he caved!!  Perhaps he wanted to flip a few burgers for Memorial Day instead of doing his darn job.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The wires and the markets are confirming, so we'll have to wait to see what the crap sandwich is.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Kamaji

Keep in mind that it had to be a compromise deal, and so it won't make anyone truly happy.  Gauge it by how unhappy the left becomes.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Keep in mind that it had to be a compromise deal, and so it won't make anyone truly happy.  Gauge it by how unhappy the left becomes.

The Left will claim victory no matter what...Biden is a great negotiator you know.....I am waiting for the details before I condemn MCCarthy
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

The Left will claim victory no matter what...Biden is a great negotiator you know.....I am waiting for the details before I condemn MCCarthy

Considering that, up until a few weeks ago, Biden was flat-out refusing to negotiate, I would say that McCarthy got the better of him so long as there are some substantive compromises by Biden in this deal.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

:yowsa: Me Too! And I would hope and pray that you will ALL dig beyond the parts the media WON'T tell you!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

McCarthy brushes off Freedom Caucus letter rejecting concessions on debt limit

Speaker Kevin McCarthy brushed off grumblings from the conservative flank of his conference over his ongoing debt limit negotiations with the White House, conceding that a final agreement would have to pass the Democratically-held Senate and be signed by President Biden.

The Republican leader arrived at the U.S. Capitol late on Friday morning, briefly stopping to tell reporters he felt "progress" was made in the prior night’s talks.

"We’ve got to make more progress now," McCarthy said.

It comes after a letter signed by 35 members of the hardline-right House Freedom Caucus calling on him to "hold the line" against the White House and not compromise on any points laid out in the House GOP’s debt limit bill. Passed in April, the Limit, Save, Grow act would raise the debt limit by $1.5 trillion or through March 2024 and couple that with a $150 billion spending cut from this year to the next, tighter work requirements for federal benefits, and a rollback of key Biden administration policies.

In addition to staying firm on those demands, the Freedom Caucus urged McCarthy to consider adding border security provisions into the final deal – something that’s virtually guaranteed to be a nonstarter with Democratic negotiators. ..........

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/kevin-mccarthy-freedom-caucus-concessions-debt-limit
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 05:37:14 pm by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

Well, he brushed off the advice of the Freedom Caucus -- that equates to caving in my books.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Key GOP negotiator: Debt ceiling leaks won’t help get a deal
by Mychael Schnell - 05/26/23 12:39 PM ET

A key Republican lawmaker negotiating a debt limit increase denounced recent leaks of details of an emerging deal, suggesting they are not helpful in locking down an agreement.

“Everyone wants a detail of this, everyone wants a tweet, I want an agreement that changes the trajectory of the country,” Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.) told reporters Friday morning while walking into Speaker Kevin McCarthy’s (R-Calif.) office.

“But the tweets, the context, the details and all this stuff, and the leaks, don’t serve getting an agreement that changes the trajectory of the country,” he later added. “That’s what this is about. That’s the fundamental piece of this arrangement that we’re focused on closing out. And if we can close it out, we can meet the deadline and the obligations we have to the American public and to the globe.”

McHenry’s comments came hours after The New York Times and The Washington Post reported negotiators were getting closer to striking a deal that would limit spending more on domestic discretionary spending than defense. They also said negotiators were discussing partially clawing back the $80 billion boost to the IRS for enforcement in an effort to prevent deeper limitations on domestic spending.

Additionally, they said the debt limit hike would last through the 2024 presidential election.

A source familiar with the negotiation, however, told The Hill an agreement has not been reached on top-line spending or how long the debt limit would be increased.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4022422-key-gop-negotiator-debt-ceiling-leaks-wont-help-get-a-deal/
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Well, he brushed off the advice of the Freedom Caucus -- that equates to caving in my books.

How do you know he did that? Because Fox News wrote it in their story? If so, I thought you were smarter than that.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Gaetz sees ‘no serious threat’ to McCarthy in bipartisan debt ceiling deal
by Lauren Sforza - 05/26/23 11:34 AM ET

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) said he sees “no serious threat” to Kevin McCarthy’s (R-Calif) Speakership amid the ongoing bipartisan debt ceiling deal.

As House Republicans and the White House scramble to come up with a debt ceiling deal, Gaetz predicted on a Twitter Spaces livestream that a bipartisan deal would pass with “about 80-100 Democrat votes and between 140-160 Republican votes.”

“I think there is no serious threat to McCarthy’s speakership,” the Florida representative added. 

Gaetz was one of the most vocal opponents to McCarthy’s election of Speaker earlier this year, as 1 of the 20 hard-line conservatives who withheld support from the California Republican throughout the Speaker election. During the election, McCarthy agreed to lower the threshold needed to hold a vote on removing the Speaker. 

Conservatives in Congress have made it clear that they will oppose any debt ceiling deal that includes major concessions by Republicans to President Biden. McCarthy needs to walk a fine line in negotiating a deal, as any member of his conference can call a motion to vacate the chair, which is a move Gaetz acknowledged in comments to Semafor earlier this week. 

“I believe the one-person motion to vacate has given us the best version of Speaker McCarthy, and I think he’s doing a good job,” he said. 

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4022281-gaetz-sees-no-serious-threat-to-mccarthy-in-bipartisan-debt-ceiling-deal/
Support the USO

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Sigh.

Well I hope we get something good on this.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Yeah. The final details haven't been decided on. I don't think the Republicans went into this thinking there would be no compromise.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Why do I get the feeling we just reelected Biden?

Offline Hoodat

How does the House bill compare to the bill that the Senate passed?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

How do you know he did that? Because Fox News wrote it in their story? If so, I thought you were smarter than that.

McCarthy isn't exactly Mr. Conservative so it's doubftul that he listened to them.  I can't remember the last time a GOP Speaker of the House actually came out on top on a negotiation.

We'll see.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Cutting is much more difficult than raising.

Once people get more money, they are not likely to give it back voluntarily.

Level funding, without cost-of-living adjustments, is the more politically viable path forward.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline corbe

McCarthy will cave using dem votes to pass this, as will McConnell.  Though the HFC will squawk there will be no vote to recall his azz from Speaker.
   How many times have yall seen this movie?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

McCarthy will cave using dem votes to pass this, as will McConnell.  Though the HFC will squawk there will be no vote to recall his azz from Speaker.
   How many times have yall seen this movie?

Enough times that I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Enough times that I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up.

I know...My hope is clinging by a thread... :0001:
Support the USO

Offline roamer_1

Level funding, without cost-of-living adjustments, is the more politically viable path forward.

Perhaps, but it is utterly unsustainable. There are not many more kicks of the can.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
This appears to be a story designed to scare normal people.  Not buying it yet.  I have learnt to NEVER believe anything coming from The Hill.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
This appears to be a story designed to scare normal people.  Not buying it yet.  I have learnt to NEVER believe anything coming from The Hill.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Again, contingent on this being correct....

I think we need to resurrect that rancious  Speaker election threat from January and out all of those here who were so hell bent on McCarthy getting the job, and all of those same here who called the FC and us traitors for witholding our support for hiim.

This is ALL on you.  You bought it. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.