Author Topic: Congress Goes On Vacation Days Away From Financial Meltdown  (Read 246 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Congress Goes On Vacation Days Away From Financial Meltdown

Michael Ginsberg
Congressional Correspondent
May 25, 2023 4:31 PM ET
Font Size:

The House of Representatives began its week-long Memorial Day recess Thursday afternoon without an agreement to raise the debt ceiling.

The U.S. Treasury could breach the debt ceiling by June 1, Secretary Janet Yellen has repeatedly warned, which could lead to a stock market crash and millions of jobs lost. Speaker of the House Kevin McCarthy previously floated canceling the Memorial Day recess if he and President Joe Biden could not reach an agreement, but ultimately told lawmakers they should prepare to return to Washington within 24 hours to vote. Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has issued a similar warning to the Senate, which will be on recess until May 29.

“We have, still, fundamental disagreements that we have yet to resolve, and it’s complicated,” Republican negotiator Patrick McHenry of North Carolina told reporters. “The fundamentals of this deal are about spending. The fundamentals of the deal are based off of the legislation the House passed to raise the debt ceiling. And that’s tough stuff for Democrats. And the White House has made that very clear. But these are thorny issues that have to be resolved.”

more
https://dailycaller.com/2023/05/25/congress-vacation-debt-ceiling-agreement/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline berdie

Re: Congress Goes On Vacation Days Away From Financial Meltdown
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 09:20:16 pm »
I don't care how "thorny" the issue is.

I don't know of any other employee (and in reality, that's what they are) that takes off on vacation when a critical job is not completed. And that includes Biden.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 09:21:40 pm »
I don't care how "thorny" the issue is.

I don't know of any other employee (and in reality, that's what they are) that takes off on vacation when a critical job is not completed. And that includes Biden.
Normally I'd agree; but better Brandon on vacation then at the WH.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 09:22:41 pm »
:facepalm2:

Offline berdie

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 09:44:10 pm »
Normally I'd agree; but better Brandon on vacation then at the WH.

I agree with that. So I'll walk my statement back. However from an optics standpoint, it might be better for Congress to hang around in DC with the negotiator hanging out at the beach. :smokin:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 09:47:25 pm »

I agree with that. So I'll walk my statement back. However from an optics standpoint, it might be better for Congress to hang around in DC with the negotiator hanging out at the beach. :smokin:

There you go!  888high58888
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.