Author Topic: Supreme Court deals major blow to key Biden environmental policy with unanimous ruling  (Read 757 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
May 25, 2023 12:05pm EDT
Supreme Court delivers blow to key Biden environmental policy
Supreme Court ruling a 'loud and clear warning shot to the Biden administration,' top Republican senator says

By Thomas Catenacci | Fox News

The Supreme Court on Thursday issued a ruling narrowing the federal government's authority regulating bodies of water and effectively upending a Biden administration policy that recently went into effect.

The high court's decision, which was delivered by Justice Samuel Alito, rejected the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) broad definition of Waters of the United States (WOTUS). The case centered on Michael and Chantell Sackett, two Idaho residents whom the EPA prohibited from building a home near a wetland years ago, citing the Clean Water Act (CWA) of 1972.

"The EPA ordered the Sacketts to restore the site, threatening penalties of over $40,000 per day," Alito's majority opinion stated. "The EPA classified the wetlands on the Sacketts’ lot as 'waters of the United States' because they were near a ditch that fed into a creek, which fed into Priest Lake, a navigable, intrastate lake. The Sacketts sued, alleging that their property was not 'waters of the United States.'"

The ruling ultimately held that the federal government's WOTUS definition must be restricted to a water source with a "continuous surface connection" to major bodies of water.

While the decision was unanimous on the merits, the court split 5-4 on determining how the federal government should go about defining water sources.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/supreme-court-delivers-blow-key-biden-environmental-policy
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Schumer rips 'MAGA' Supreme Court after 9-0 vote on EPA waters rule

Schumer said 9-0 decision by Supreme Court erodes US environmental laws

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/schumer-rips-maga-supreme-court-9-0-vote-epa-waters-rule
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline berdie

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/schumer-rips-maga-supreme-court-9-0-vote-epa-waters-rule

So Schumer is saying Kagan and Sotomayer are MAGA? Who knew? :rolling:

Offline libertybele

So Schumer is saying Kagan and Sotomayer are MAGA? Who knew? :rolling:

888high58888 :silly:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Poor frustrated little man.

That Stalin bust in the little shrine in the backroom is going to be extra shiny tonite.
The Republic is lost.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Schumer Slams ‘MAGA’ Supreme Court For 9-0 Unanimous Decision
by Staff Reports

In response to the Supreme Court's ruling that limited the EPA's power to regulate bodies of waters, Senate Majority Leader Schumer blamed the Trump administration. The court ruled that the agency's definition of "waters of the United States" had changed.

The EPA has to consider bodies of water that have a continuous surface connection to major bodies of water when it comes to regulating them under the Clean Water Act. This means that smaller bodies of water will not be able to be included in the agency's regulations.

The decision was a setback for President Biden's administration, as it aimed to develop regulations for various types of waterways, such as lakes, ponds, and wetlands. The administration had a strong understanding of the EPA's responsibilities under the Clean Water Act.

https://conservativeadvocacy.com/schumer-slams-maga-supreme-court-for-9-0-unanimous-decision/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=schumer-slams-maga-supreme-court-for-9-0-unanimous-decision
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
So Smucky,  You gonna call them out again?

“I want to tell you, Gorsuch. I want to tell you, Kavanaugh. You have released the whirlwind, and you will pay the price. You won’t know what hit you if you go forward with these awful decisions,”

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

So Smucky,  You gonna call them out again?

“I want to tell you, Gorsuch. I want to tell you, Kavanaugh. You have released the whirlwind, and you will pay the price. You won’t know what hit you if you go forward with these awful decisions,”

He's gonna have to add Sotomayor, Kagan, and Jackson to that litany, since the case in question was a 9-0 decision.

Offline libertybele

It's not truly over yet ... While the decision was unanimous on the merits, the court split 5-4 on determining how the federal government should go about defining water sources.

"Defining water sources" ... this still leaves things wide open for further ruling.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.