General Category > SCOTUS News

94-year-old grandmother gets big win at Supreme Court

(1/2) > >>

libertybele:
94-year-old grandmother gets big win at Supreme Court

The Supreme Court ruled in favor Thursday of a 94-year-old Minnesota grandmother who claimed that the state violated her constitutional rights when they seized her condo over an unpaid tax debt, then sold the property and kept all the sale proceeds — which were far above what she actually owed.

Geraldine Tyler owned a condo which Hennepin County seized as payment for approximately $15,000 in outstanding property taxes, penalties, interest and costs. The home was then sold for $40,000. Under the state's forfeiture laws, the county kept the surplus proceeds - in this case to the tune of $25,000.

Tyler argued that the government violated the Fifth Amendment's "Takings Clause" by confiscating property worth more than the debt owed by the owner. Lower courts ruled against her and dismissed her case, but the Supreme Court on Thursday unanimously sided with her arguments and held that she brought a valid claim under the Takings Clause.

"The taxpayer must render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, but no more," Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in the court's opinion. ...........

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/94-year-old-grandmother-big-win-supreme-court

Kamaji:
Link to the opinion itself:  https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/22pdf/22-166_8n59.pdf

Smokin Joe:
An outstanding precedent, and one that can provide relief to people all over the country.

libertybele:
Yes, this sets a precedent that the state can't keep all the $$ from the proceeds of a home sold for tax debts.  I wondered what state this took place in so I looked up Hennepin county - it is in Minnesota.  I wonder how much money MN has raked in over the years?

Bigun:

--- Quote from: Smokin Joe on May 25, 2023, 04:48:09 pm ---An outstanding precedent, and one that can provide relief to people all over the country.

--- End quote ---

:yowsa: :amen:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version