Author Topic: 94-year-old grandmother gets big win at Supreme Court  (Read 613 times)

Online libertybele

94-year-old grandmother gets big win at Supreme Court
« on: May 25, 2023, 04:13:20 pm »
94-year-old grandmother gets big win at Supreme Court

The Supreme Court ruled in favor Thursday of a 94-year-old Minnesota grandmother who claimed that the state violated her constitutional rights when they seized her condo over an unpaid tax debt, then sold the property and kept all the sale proceeds — which were far above what she actually owed.

Geraldine Tyler owned a condo which Hennepin County seized as payment for approximately $15,000 in outstanding property taxes, penalties, interest and costs. The home was then sold for $40,000. Under the state's forfeiture laws, the county kept the surplus proceeds - in this case to the tune of $25,000.

Tyler argued that the government violated the Fifth Amendment's "Takings Clause" by confiscating property worth more than the debt owed by the owner. Lower courts ruled against her and dismissed her case, but the Supreme Court on Thursday unanimously sided with her arguments and held that she brought a valid claim under the Takings Clause.

"The taxpayer must render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, but no more," Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in the court's opinion. ...........

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/94-year-old-grandmother-big-win-supreme-court
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

Re: 94-year-old grandmother gets big win at Supreme Court
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 04:36:54 pm »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 04:48:09 pm »
An outstanding precedent, and one that can provide relief to people all over the country.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 04:50:11 pm »
Yes, this sets a precedent that the state can't keep all the $$ from the proceeds of a home sold for tax debts.  I wondered what state this took place in so I looked up Hennepin county - it is in Minnesota.  I wonder how much money MN has raked in over the years?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 04:53:30 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 04:56:45 pm »
An outstanding precedent, and one that can provide relief to people all over the country.

:yowsa: :amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 04:57:12 pm »
Yes, this sets a precedent that the state can't keep all the $$ from the proceeds of a home sold for tax debts.  I wondered what state this took place in so I looked up Hennepin county - it is in Minnesota.  I wonder how much money MN has raked in over the years?
If the excess is even one dollar it is too much. Likely, too, the tax debt (with interest and fees) is excessive as well, with lots of add-ons to make the debt harder to pay.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2023, 05:07:19 pm »
Reading through the case, it surprises me a little that the lower courts would have come to the conclusion that the plaintiff failed to state a cause of action.

Under the Minn. statute, once the taxes become delinquent and have been delinquent for a year, title to the property is vested in the state, and it is that absolute vesting of title to the entire property that appears to form the basis for the lower courts' conclusion that the plaintiff no longer had a cognizable interest in the property.

But that is simply moving the point in time at which the uncompensated taking occurs.  It doesn't turn what is a taking into something that is not-a-taking.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2023, 05:09:24 pm »
If the excess is even one dollar it is too much. Likely, too, the tax debt (with interest and fees) is excessive as well, with lots of add-ons to make the debt harder to pay.

It was excessive in what I would take to be common parlance.  According to the opinion, the debt amounted to $2,300 in unpaid property taxes, plus $13,000 in interest and penalties, which accrued over a five-year period, from 2010 to 2015.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2023, 05:47:26 pm »
... sounds like something the covetous Limousine Liberal Dems in the Taxachusetts legislature might want to have here ... for the children.

I know Mike Dukakis would have approved of absolute state seizure of property title for non-payment of taxes less than the value of the property.

Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright