Author Topic: BREAKING: SCOTUS unanimously yanks chain on EPA in Sackett  (Read 697 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

BREAKING: SCOTUS unanimously yanks chain on EPA in Sackett

https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2023/05/25/boom-scotus-unanimously-yanks-chain-on-epa-in-waters-of-the-us-case-n553404

Anyone want to take bets on the life expectancy of the Chevron doctrine after today’s unanimous decision on Sackett v EPA? The Supreme Court unanimously ruled that the EPA had grossly overstepped its congressional mandate in defining “Waters of the United States,” vastly limiting its authority to declare jurisdiction over what it claims to be “wetlands” on private property.

It’s the second such loss in as many years for the EPA’s attempt to aggrandize its jurisdiction, CBS News notes:

In an opinion authored by Justice Samuel Alito in the case known as Sackett v. EPA, the high court found that the agency’s interpretation of the wetlands covered under the Clean Water Act is “inconsistent” with the law’s text and structure, and the law extends only to “wetlands with a continuous surface connection to bodies of water that are ‘waters of the United States’ in their own right.”

Five justices joined the majority opinion by Alito, while the remaining four — Justices Brett Kavanaugh, Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan and Ketanji Brown Jackson — concurred in the judgment.

The decision from the conservative court is the latest to target the authority of the EPA to police pollution. On the final day of its term last year, the high court limited the agency’s power to regulate greenhouse gas emissions from power plants, dealing a blow to efforts to combat climate change.

I love the whiny tone of SeeBS' article! May the bureaucrats' snout get even more smacks!

The "Chevron doctrine" was a principle in which courts deferred to regulatory agencies' interpretations of their authority and jurisdiction. Bureaucratic tyranny was predictable and ensued, and this and last year's power plants rulings will at least put limits on the "Chevron doctrine", and threaten to end it.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 04:08:10 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: BREAKING: SCOTUS unanimously yanks chain on EPA in Sackett
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 04:31:56 pm »
BREAKING: SCOTUS unanimously yanks chain on EPA in Sackett

https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2023/05/25/boom-scotus-unanimously-yanks-chain-on-epa-in-waters-of-the-us-case-n553404

I love the whiny tone of SeeBS' article! May the bureaucrats' snout get even more smacks!

The "Chevron doctrine" was a principle in which courts deferred to regulatory agencies' interpretations of their authority and jurisdiction. Bureaucratic tyranny was predictable and ensued, and this and last year's power plants rulings will at least put limits on the "Chevron doctrine", and threaten to end it.

Thanks @PeteS in CA to say that I REALLY like this one would be grossly understating it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 04:46:36 pm »
And a 9-0 slap down is doubly sweet.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 04:50:18 pm »
That's two 9-0 rulings today!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DB

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 04:51:06 pm »
That's a step in the right direction! Hopefully just a start.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 08:06:24 pm »
A unanimous decision, but Schmucky Schumer calls it the MAGA Court.  I'm sure Kagan, Jackson Brown Brown Jackson Whatever and Sotomayor appreciate being lumped in that group.  :silly:

Chuck Schumer
@SenSchumer
This MAGA Supreme Court is continuing to erode our country’s environmental laws.
Make no mistake—this ruling will mean more polluted water, and more destruction of wetlands.
We’ll keep fighting to protect our waters.
12:02 PM · May 25, 2023
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2023, 08:07:12 pm »
A unanimous decision, but Schmucky Schumer calls it the MAGA Court.  I'm sure Kagan, Jackson Brown Brown Jackson Whatever and Sotomayor appreciate being lumped in that group.  :silly:

Chuck Schumer
@SenSchumer
This MAGA Supreme Court is continuing to erode our country’s environmental laws.
Make no mistake—this ruling will mean more polluted water, and more destruction of wetlands.
We’ll keep fighting to protect our waters.
12:02 PM · May 25, 2023

Exactly.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2023, 12:53:16 pm »
David Asman
@DavidAsmanfox
Wasn’t enough that Sen Schumer explicitly threatened Supreme Court Justices, one of whom was later stalked by an armed assassin. Now he throws liberal Justices into the pit with conservatives as being part of a “MAGA”conspiracy.
 Have you no shame, sir?
7:20 PM · May 25, 2023

Schumer Rips "MAGA" Court After 9-0 Vote on EPA Waters Rule
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2023, 01:37:36 pm »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien